Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Finished!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Finished this last month for my father-in-law.

I started with a piece of walnut that he picked out and then he resawed so we could flip the center and do a simple lamination to increase stability and strength (note dark band visible on bottom of buttstock). I then sent it off to get it semi-inlet. It came back pretty rough. I modified the semi-inlet significantly narrowing the profile for the forearm and installed a nice piece of rosewood. I pillar and epoxy bedding the action (I meant to include pics of this, it is absolutely perfect). The recoil pad is the traditional style rubber pad with a "nib" that extends into the stock. Finish is hand rubbed oil. Swivels are inlet; along with cross bolts, and a grip cap; all of which I blued. I sent the stock off to Ahlman's for checkering - excellent job, price, and turn around. Will use again.

I had Hank Fleming lap the lugs, install a large recoil lug, and reblue (I had to do some metal fitting beforehand on the bolt and rear of the action - sins of the Remington factory!!!). I reinstalled the iron sights, Talley rings, and simple leather sling.

I made one mistake on the stock that is obvious (I will let you guys find).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Easy---the red x in the middle of the box.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

I made one mistake on the stock that is obvious (I will let you guys find).

Oversized ejection port clearance on the stock?(maybe it is an optical illusion)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep; I got a funky angle on the front side when I was sanding and not paying attention; I tried to put some funky angle on it to keep it sized to the ejection port, but it looked pretty gnarly...so I expanded it forward. Good thing it's a hobby! I learned a lot though!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I learned a bunch of stuff along the way, like superglue can perform miracles and fill/hide mistakes, but it was to late here!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Can you explain the lamination process you used?

Nice looking stock, certainly hope to get my skills to that level one day.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
looks real good!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was planning to breath new life into my dads old 700 too. Nice job.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

Unless I'm mistaken it's the same thing Serengetti does with their stocks. The theory is that by cutting a piece out of the middle and flipping it top to bottom it makes the stock more stable while preserving the figure of the walnut in the butt and forearm. I don't know how well it works but it seems sound in theory.

Not my cup of tea, but if it works...

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work-- a fine gift.

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice.

And BTW you're brave to say, "I've got a flaw in the stock I'm not going to ID, but you guys chime in with any fault you find". I'd be scared to death to do that with any of my stocks.

Again, great job.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

Unless I'm mistaken it's the same thing Serengetti does with their stocks. The theory is that by cutting a piece out of the middle and flipping it top to bottom it makes the stock more stable while preserving the figure of the walnut in the butt and forearm. I don't know how well it works but it seems sound in theory.

I assumed it was the same idea as what Serengeti Stockworks does and it seems a novel concept with much prettier results than the typical plywood laminate. What type of glue do you use?

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice compliments.

On the lamination, we cut a 3/8 or 1/2 (can't remember which and don't have the stock to measure) section from the center of the blank; flipped it around end to end and glued the whole thing back together. It was an experiment. Not sure if I would do again.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Thanks for the nice compliments.

On the lamination, we cut a 3/8 or 1/2 (can't remember which and don't have the stock to measure) section from the center of the blank; flipped it around end to end and glued the whole thing back together. It was an experiment. Not sure if I would do again.

What type of glue is used though?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd use G1 epoxy.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Titebond 3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of recoil pad is that one??

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productnumber=912099

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I am ordering one tonight.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The plugs are a slight bit undersized in diameter and either a bit to long or to short, cant remember which, but I used some superglue to hold them in place.

One thing, there is a "nib" that sticks out at the top of the recoil pad into the stock - it looks really cool. You have to inlet the top of the stock and it can me tricky. I did it by hand, but will probably use a router bit next time.

http://www.centuryarms.com.au/pics/Silversbest.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,
Can you tell me a little more about the pad. Is the base a solid piece of plastic or does it have an internal metal plate like a Pachmayr? I was looking in the Midway catalog and I have to trim mine down quite a bit to make if fit from 6" and was wondering what I might run into. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is any metal in there, but I could be wrong. Seemed like all plastic and rubber to me. Put a magnet on it; that will tell you in there is metal in there.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Austin,
Can you tell me a little more about the pad. Is the base a solid piece of plastic or does it have an internal metal plate like a Pachmayr? I was looking in the Midway catalog and I have to trim mine down quite a bit to make if fit from 6" and was wondering what I might run into. Thanks.

That pad comes in different sizes. You can probably find one closer to what you need.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do come in other sizes unfortunately the other sizes are a different color, no red/orange. I'm going to get get one and try it. Thanks.