New
Find
Notify
Tools

A modest custom Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a modest custom Mauser, one without fancy wood or extensive metal work, but I love it nonetheless. It was built on a FN Supreme commercial action (complete with the Sako #4 adjustable trigger) and has a very nice Redfield 4-12 AO scope in Redfield mounts. What really sets the rifle apart is the checkering around the grip area. The checkering below the elongated triangle of uncheckered wood is finer than the checkering above it. The finer checkering and the coarser checkering flow together in such a way, though, that the transition from one to the other is all but unnoticeable. The builder was J.E. Moates of Aiken, SC. If anyone is familiar with his work, please chime in.

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Damn handsome rifle! We need the caliber and more pictures!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, caliber is .243 Winchester. I'll add pics as Photobucket will allow, but it is tough sledding tonight! Below is a pic of the grip treatment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. For me this is a great way to "honor" a common but classic Mauser action there is nothing to detract or add, just a very usable rifle that will be taken hunting, acquire a unique patina, and last through several generations.

I have just such a project on the go right now, an "as new" FN action I've had for years, an FN 270 barrel I got here on AR, slightly heavier than is the current fashion, all the better to make a soft shooting young mans rifle (and they are young and fit enough to carry it up the mountains). Blued steel and Walnut can't be beat!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mouse, not familiar with JE Moates as a gunsmith but stopped in his gunshop many times in the mid 80s when going through Aiken. Pretty common little rural gunshop in the main area. However as I got to know him I was invited into the back rooms. WOW! Really high grade firearms of every description. Very heavy on German, drillings, vierlings, leaping stags and baying hounds galore. Very sharp trader, don't ask how I know!
Larry

Posts: 373 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice, my cup of tea too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that. It is what I want to do with my 1960s Belgian artisan gunsmith .280 Remington.

A classic American hunting rifle with period Redfield 'scope and mounts. You have inspired me to get on with it!

Thank you! I hope when I do mine it will look as good as this. Thank you!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the kind words. I was hesitant to post pictures of my rather humble Mauser, as there are some really, really beautiful rifles pictured in this sub-forum. Chief, thanks for your recollections of your visits with Mr. Moates. He sounds like someone I would have really enjoyed meeting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with his work, but I will ask around for you. I think I know the right people.

-Brandon

Posts: 105 | Location: MD | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote