New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom fit stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to have a stock made to fit my wife. Does anybody know if there will be someone at SCI that can do this? The problem is that she is 5'11" and is always having to bend her neck down (even with tall rings) to look through a scope. Any Ideas appreciated.

Posts: 1074 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this is a problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be able to help. I live in Oregon.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try James C. Tucker in Medford, Or. 541-664-9160

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies. DArcy, maybe I am not describing it right. But, my best description is she always looks uncomfortable. Shoulder to high, head tilted, (crunched up) We did some amateur measuring. From the center of her shoulder to her eye, is 1.5 inches more than me. Don't know what that means in terms of fitting a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The decision is now yours to make. Other Stockmakers may be found at www.acgg.org. The Pacific Northwest is home to many fine craftsmen/women. The fitting of a stock is indeed critical to the art of shooting.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my own stocks I used an inexpensive 60s sporterized Mauser removing and adding (Bondo) as needed. It is not pretty but fits. This way I could go and shoot the rifle and be sure what feels good in the shop works in reality.

I then used the dimensions for the final stock.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is a bit amazing that most of the stockmakers listed on that site do not provide a URL (web address).

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy2, not when you consider the average age of ACGG members are 67 years young. Most of the masters of the craft are now that old. Jerry Fisher is in his late 70's. Ask you questions of them now as they will not be here forever.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up the Stock Doctor- he is Dennis Earl Smith. He is very talented, an artist, and has years of experience.

He has done work for me in the past and I am very happy with his work. I will send him more work in the future.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Women's shoulders generally slope downward more than men's and stocks require more drop at the heel to fit properly. I bought a Citori shotgun for my late wife and had to install an adjustable buttplate before it would fit her.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. Been looking at wed sites, just have to figure out how much to spend now.