New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were a smarter man you would send your bolt to Dan Armstrong-www.accu-tig.com for a decent bolt handle that he will time and micro tig. Only bolt handle that I've had come off was a Kelbly Stolle. A BR target then attacked me.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
posted Aug 26, 8:44 AM
Hide Post
If the handle comes off the bolt of a 40X in the middle of a rifle match, I am unlikely to be eaten or trampled to death. I just pack up my gear and move off the firing line.

I have been in several situations in the hunting field where that would not be the case.

Mike Walker also is credited with originating the .222 Remington cartridge, which took the bench rest world by storm, and incidentally served as the inspiration for the .223 Remington.

I do know of Mike. I have 2 of his personal rifles, his loading presses that were made from unfinished receivers, as well as one of 3 internal adjusting BR scopes from the custom shop. Oh, I have the prototype also. [/QUOTE]

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
If you were a smarter man you would send your bolt to Dan Armstrong-www.accu-tig.com for a decent bolt handle that he will time and micro tig. Only bolt handle that I've had come off was a Kelbly Stolle. A BR target then attacked me.

I would then be left with a push feed rifle with a questionable extractor and safety. No thanks! I have a room full of Model 70's and Mausers which I can feel totally secure with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

I would then be left with a push feed rifle with a questionable extractor and safety. No thanks! I have a room full of Model 70's and Mausers which I can feel totally secure with.

Yup, I have a safe full of mauser customs and though everybody talks of how unsafe a 700 is for dangerous game. Do you personally know of anyone that was injured because of an unsafe 700? I've read of it being that way, but haven't actually seen or heard of it except on the internet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you personally know of anyone that was injured because of an unsafe 700? I've read of it being that way, but haven't actually seen or heard of it except on the internet.

The answer to that question is of course, "No", since I have never known anyone to hunt dangerous game with a Remington 700. Maybe Phil Shoemaker could shed some light on this subject, since he has conducted any number of dangerous game hunts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 600 and its never failed, but hundreds, maybe thousands of 700 have failed and gone off..I know of about 15 locally that voiced their opinions when this happened, more than a few on AR have experienced this and yes, safe gun handling can save lives, but I still think its pretty damn dumb to say its OK if the gun isn't pointed at someone, such an event would be of grave concern to me...Also such questioning of the mod. 70 safety and the timney and some others hasn't raised any hackles which tells me their is a problem and Remington leads the field of guns going off and has so many more lawsuits against them, it just doesn't make me want to buy one..I'll just take a Ruger, Win, or Mauser, or at least go with another trigger on a 700..I don't even want to be around a 700 if I can help it..why should I. But most of all its my God given choice to choose otherwise.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote