Find
Notify
Tools

Wood stock for 8x57 Mannlicher
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I posted my rifle on here last summer with synthetic stock.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...101084751#3101084751

I have finally gotten around to doing a wood stock for it.

I started with a semi-inlet blank from Al Lind. It was a nice pattern, but was finished "full" and needed a lot of work to thin it down to the same size as my synthetic stock. I just should have had my synthetic stock copied. The wood is Utah black walnut. This piece doesn't have much grain, but it's super hard and stable. Which is what I wanted.

Here are some pics after I got the action fully inletted and the Mannlicher cap installed. This is from a few weeks ago. Note the thickness on the rear of stock - this all came off today. I roughed out a new pancake cheek rest versus the original one. I think the original profile of the stock would be great for a big magnum, but wanted to make sure I was light for the 8x57. Hindsight is 20/20; I should have done a #1 contour on the barrel instead of a #2.

Here is a pic of the Biesen buttplate that I installed last weekend. The stock was matched to it today.

More photos to follow.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good so far! Keep 'em coming...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here are some more pics. Again, sorry for the quality - phone camera. Finished pics will be with a real camera!

I roughed in the new cheek piece last night and drew some different patterns on it. I don't like any of them. I need to make a template on my computer and use that.

The one thing that I did that I didn't intend to was move the point of the comb so far back. Most rifles have them centered on the center of the grip. However, this position ended up fitting my hand the best. And I spent time looking through my Mauser book, Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles, and found a great many of the factory Mauser sporters did have the same setup - especially the pre-war ones.

Need to finish the cheek piece and smoothing/sanding the back of the stock - then onto bedding the action and finishing.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big bore Mannlicher stocked carbine is a project that I have always wanted to do. But I have the wood working skills of a chain saw.
Maybe someday.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think a 9.3 x 62 is the perfect big bore Mannlicher!

Trust me, my wood working skills are nothing compared to the guys that do this all the time. You just need to start somewhere and move up. Try some refinishing, and then new recoil pads, and then maybe some of the more fully finished inletted stocks.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Cheek piece looking pretty good. I skipped the template and did by hand while hunting this weekend - finished up tonight at home. I need to adjust some of the contours towards the front and I'll be good. I am doing a "real shadow line" - very, very thin. Need to lower more towards the front.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here are some updated pics of the stock. I everything has been bedded, etc. I just need to reblue to grip cap and buttplate (the nose piece is on the fiberglass stock for this rifle) and send it out to checker.

Note Toe-Out of stock in last photos - fits real nice into my shoulder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good now all you have to do is put on some nice 24IPI checkering to finish off the stock good luck keep us posted

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Oh that's just outstanding!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Each time I do a stock I learn something, usually from mistakes Smiler

At this rate I should be really good in about 50 years.

I'm going to a local shop I buy wood from this next Friday. We are going to cut some rifle stock blanks from some mesquite logs and then kiln dry them for 3 months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice job.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Really looks nice. Wish I had that kind of talent.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My goal is to do a stock from a blank, no semi-inlet and get a tight wood to metal fit and only us epoxy for the recoil lug and rear tang areas.

Trust me, I don't have any special skills.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and one of my favorite calibers.

Great looking gun!

How does it shoot?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've shot it in my fiberglass stock and this wood stock. It has a 20" #2 barrel and shoots 200 grain Accubonds. Shoots .5"-1.5". Most of other bullet brands were 3-4" groups. Only Accubonds and Woodleighs shoot well.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
In some calibers I have Accubond shoot better than Match bullets from Lapua, Sierra, Nosler and Hornady.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I wish Swift Sciroccos were available on this caliber/weight.

I've shot Accubonds in 7mm Mag, 375 H&H, and 8x57 - and I don't know about everyone else, but I have always been disappointed in their construction. No better than a SST from what I have seen. Accuracy has always been great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks beautiful, what did you use for stock finish?

I really like the lines of the pancake cheek piece. It fits really well with the mannlicher stock.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I have shot deer size game with them no problem. But that's it.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
I have shot deer size game with them no problem. But that's it.

I've killed a bunch of stuff with the Accubonds - axis, whitetail, aoudad, lechwe, kudu, reedbuck, waterbuck, impala, hogs, etc I just wasnt that happy with their performance on the kudu and waterbuck. I know, the animals are dead Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Hinn:
That looks beautiful, what did you use for stock finish?

I really like the lines of the pancake cheek piece. It fits really well with the mannlicher stock.

I started off with Velvit oil. But I ran out before my new order came in, so I used some boiled linseed I had on hand. I've used boiled linseed before for the very final finish on a rifle before.