THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Help please...wooden stock creating inaccuracy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help please...wooden stock creating inaccuracy
 Login/Join

Picture of mphfreak
posted
I have a model 70 in 270 calibre. 22 inche barrel. Wooden stock and the barrel floats nicely. I Can run a envelope under it all the way to the action. My first shot with a cold barrel is 3 inches from the next three which group within an inche. Ive attached a photo of a target What do i look for next?

270 win
308 win
7mm mag
257 weatherby

Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Alberta, canada | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A. Your action bedding is squirrely

B. Your bbl is squirrely.

Glass bed to elminate A.

B is usually solved by making many trips to the range, expending hundreds of rounds of ammo, then rebarreling.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try glass bedding and experiment with a pressure point, but your barrel is exhibiting classic symtoms of a barrel that was bent and restraightened somewhere along the process in it's manufacture. This is common. I would just make sure I knew where the cold clean shot was going and sight-in with the warm group.

What is happening is the barrel goes back to the bent state as soon as heat is applied (1 shot). This is a very common occurence with non-premium barrels. I have had some that would put the first shot 3-4 inches from the rest of the group.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You said cold barrel. Is the barrel also clean for shot number 1 and fouled for shots 2-4? That would not necessarily be unusual for a group like this, if that was the case.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of mphfreak
posted Hide Post
Cold barrel and it was cleaned about 20 shots ago. copper cleaned and ran through about 6 times with the cloth patches until clean. I shot it today but left the rifle outside for about 30 minutes prior. this allowed the entire gun to be at one temp. Before i was walking out of the house and shooting within 5 minutes. the stock was insulating the barrel bottom. Im thinking a hogging action was happening where the bottom of the barrel was warmer then the top. acting like a bi metal strip. anyways the groups were back to normal today. It was the same approx. temp aswell. -17 degrees celsius.

270 win
308 win
7mm mag
257 weatherby

Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Alberta, canada | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Try different bullets & see what happens.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote