THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Recommendation of a stock or stockmaker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation of a stock or stockmaker
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I just purchased what I believe to be a commercial Mauser 98 barreled action on this site. I bought it because of the engraving.

It appears to be a custom maker but no marks or name or caliber on the weapon. It is said to be a 270 but will check that later.

The barrel is half octagon and then round to the muzzle.

Of course it needs to be in a wood stock but I do not want to put a lot of money into the wood not knowing who the maker is ....

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations of someone who make a stock or buy a better quality semi-inletted blank and finish.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't do the stock yourself, I would be reluctant to spend much on it. To me, and this is my opinion only, I think it will need some metal work to make it appealing to me. I'm not in love with the iron sights and hopefully if not drilled and tapped it needs it. Most 270 hunting is not with iron sights.
You should have a lot of fun with it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
That thing needs a Germanic style stock! Is the rib and front sight base integral or soldered on?

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Aaron, the rib and front side are one piece. Any particular reason that the displayed rifle has the extra wood to the sides of the action or was it just style?

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a nice action..perhaps downgraded by the silly bolt handle, but that can be changed...with that, an original style stock would be quite proper.

Octagon barrels are not snap to inlet. Someone like John Vest would glass your action/bbl into a pattern stock. Ask for a 1:1 machine inlet and you'd have a much easier time of it.

John has plenty of patterns that should meet your needs

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
It's just one of the many styles the Germans used. it actually has benefit though, it keeps wood in a weak area but allows one to really transition into a petite wrist and forend.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a nice action..perhaps downgraded by the silly bolt handle, but that can be changed...

Ah come on Duane, that bolt handle was once in style. Big Grin Didn't everyone buy them from Len Brownell?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep..Put some on myself to pay the light bill

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron Little:
That thing needs a Germanic style stock! Is the rib and front sight base integral or soldered on?

[/QUOTE

Yes!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell the barrel and bottom metal and put some effort into the action, just think of all the neat calibers you could use. What kind of budget do you have or are you willing to do the stock yourself?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
I would want to know how well it can shoot before spending more on it. Adapt it to an old military stock or cheap plastic job and run some factory ammo through it from a bench rest at 100 yds. Even with open sights you should be able to get an idea of its abilities and function. Or send it to me and I'll do the above plus check headspace and report for the cost of shipping both ways.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Jim, I am not skilled nor have the patience to due the stock work myself. "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger."

Jim

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....bit off topic but, I saw that action in the classified section and commented on the safety..... any chance of some pics of the safety, maybe from the top, when you have time?

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it, and if it didn't shoot well in a Boyds or Hogue I'd have someone rebore.

Like everyone else said I would certainly:

1. Change the bolt handle to a 98 Mauser 90% bolt handle.

2. If the safety works and you like it I would keep it. I have not seen an older gun with a left to right M70 style safety. Satterlee makes one like that, but his is sexier.

3. I personally have no love of 270s, but it would make a hell of an interesting 8x68S or 8x64 (I think either one would clean up a 270 chamber) rebore would solve a lot of life's problems 8,5x63 Reb would be another one. Though it is a new cartridge, the other two are from the 1920's.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I'd shoot it, and if it didn't shoot well in a Boyds or Hogue I'd have someone rebore.

Like everyone else said I would certainly:

1. Change the bolt handle to a 98 Mauser 90% bolt handle.

2. If the safety works and you like it I would keep it. I have not seen an older gun with a left to right M70 style safety. Satterlee makes one like that, but his is sexier.

3. I personally have no love of 270s, but it would make a hell of an interesting 8x68S or 8x64 (I think either one would clean up a 270 chamber) rebore would solve a lot of life's problems 8,5x63 Reb would be another one. Though it is a new cartridge, the other two are from the 1920's.

Yeah right, everybody should have at least one 8.5x63 Reb.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Craigster it solves the problem of the 270, since it should clean up the chamber.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
Jim, I am not skilled nor have the patience to due the stock work myself. "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger."

Jim

I think I may have an answer to that! dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote