Find
Notify
Tools

because he could
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There is a tremendous amount of work in that piece and beautifully done.
Not something I want or need but I can recognize a masterpiece when I see it.
Thanks for posting that.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't care for it. I know, it is just me.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder how many useful rifles you could have bought with the money in that thing.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would like to play with that for a while

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bridgeport and a lathe. Plus alot of talent.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Bridgeport and a lathe. Plus alot of talent.

And time!

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Didn't we see a thread recently discussing unnecessarily complicated German designs?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James D. Julia Inc., auctioneer for this unique rifle, provided some interesting background facts:

J.T. Smith, a former U.S. Marine and CIA employee, scratch-built several firearms over the years but this was his apex (finest rifle). Mr. Smith… required that his guns have form, function and beauty. This rifle was built in Mr. Smith’s home shop with a standard Bridgeport milling machine and an antique lathe along with much hand work. Some of the processes, such as bluing, heat treating, casting the bronze fore-arm and applying the classic bronze patina were outsourced, but all of the machine work was done by Smith. He built the rifle to weigh under the 65-pound limit so that it could compete in heavy benchrest rifle shoots. J.T. Smith also created a micrometer adjustable front rest for this rifle. The rest has three tapered arms emanating from a ball shape with screw-adjustable feet and a spirit level. Accompanying this fine rifle and rest is a magnificent set of tools in a fitted walnut case.

Nice write up about the history.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea, but a lot of work. Kinda what a mill, lathe, and file are for.
Did it sell and for how much?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle. The gunmaker here has really been creative.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is definitely different!

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"marched to the beat of a different drummer..."

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote