New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boyd’s upgraded walnut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the upgraded walnut stock options available at Boyd’s? I’m looking for a decent looking stock for a 700 but don’t want to break the bank. Looks like I can get their upgraded wood for about $500.

What’s the fit and finish like on these stocks? Decent?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes I bought a upgraded piece of bastone walnut from them.
It sucked. NEVER AGAIN.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will never buy from Boyds. Terrible custom service.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Wenig's did fine for me on a semi-inletted walnut stock about 10 years ago. Total bill was 'round $500 or $550. Inletting was decent. Took a few months maybe more.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a near drop in, look at the Cooper stocks that Stocky's offers for the Rem 700. You have to bed the recoil lug, but they are otherwise drop in, and they are really nice. Way better then Boyds.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/...o-walnut-stocks.html

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,
I just sent a walnut stock from Boyd's back to them this week. It was supposed to be XX claro walnut. When I opened the box my first thought was , this looks just like a factory Remington BDL stock. The figure was not existant. And the finish looked like they sprayed it on extra thick and it did not get a chance to flow and dry correctly.
On the bright side the customer service lady was extremely nice and easy to deal with and I sent it back with a full refund promised.

Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
For a near drop in, look at the Cooper stocks that Stocky's offers for the Rem 700. You have to bed the recoil lug, but they are otherwise drop in, and they are really nice. Way better then Boyds.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/...o-walnut-stocks.html

Jeremy

They look really nice.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of suppliers of walnut (French, Turkish, English, Bastogne, etc.) but I have bought at decent prices from Preslik's of Chico, California. You might check them out.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of suppliers of walnut (French, Turkish, English, Bastogne, etc.) but I have bought at decent prices from Preslik's of Chico, California. You might check them out.

I have bought a lot of nice blanks from Preslik's.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too, but is he still around, ED died a number of years ago and I thought Jim Had quit selling.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.presliksgunstocks.com/

Might be a good time to stock up, looks like he's selling all of his inventory.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1173 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preslik is selling blanks at more than 50% off, according to an e-mail I rec'd this morning.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Richards micro fit always gives more figure for the money than anyone else.

Posts: 17146 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I'd been looking at Richards for a basic stock for my field gun. At the price, it's an economical way to practice my finishing skills. They seem to offer a wide variety of wood, and a couple of styles that appeal to my old-fashioned taste.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder if a person could send a nice blank to Boyd’s, and have them make a stock?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would end up with a nice looking POS. There are other more viable alternatives

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Wonder if a person could send a nice blank to Boyd’s, and have them make a stock?

You can with Richards, for $100, but I've no way of vouching for the results, not having seen their work in person. They have a very nice looking "Old Classic #102" style, if you can navigate past all the purple and tiger-striped laminates to get to it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I used my first Richards stock in 1970. Now, they have nice wood, but they are not drop in and require fitting and some shaping.
Not for the high end builders here, but good for the other 99.9% of us.
I still use them for things I do not have a pattern for and only need one.

Posts: 17146 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote