New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Custom Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought this rifle was a 7x57. Why the change.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
I thought this rifle was a 7x57. Why the change.

The rifle at the top of this post is a 7x57. We are talking about the other rifle that that was built by Penrod and Mercer that I posted the 1 picture of.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I'm hooked on Noslers. I recently had a short barreled 7X57 (16 inch maybe) with a 1:8.7 inch twist that loved 175 grain Nosler Partitions and H4831. I'm not sure how they or H4831 powder would perform in a magnum 7.

I like Nosler bullets as well. I've used the Sierra Gamekings on my last several deer and elk and have just been extremely pleased with the results, but if it doesn't like the Gamekings with the new barrel I will probably try Accubonds and Partitions next. H4831 works well in the 7mm RM but is a little slower velocity usually. I think the first powder I will probably try in it will be some of Alliants new RL23. I've been having great results with it in my 6.5 Rem Mag and 300H&H, and am fixing to try it in my 243 this weekend.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best buys in guns are used custom rifles, many by young gunmakers just out of school, trying to pay the bills and keep the kids fed. The secret is knowing which ones are good and which ones are not, that takes time and study..

this also applies to English rifles that are floating around out there, but be advised its a tricky biz knowing the good from the bad.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 7x57 I like H414 and about any bullet, the 1x9 seems to shoot anything from the wonderful 130 gr. Speer, my favorite deer bullet to the 175 gr. Nosler partition on elk, and don't overlook the Nosler Accubonds. All my 7x57 have a 30-06 length box and the rifles are throated to seat bullet out to 06 length. Just another way of improving a 7x57 case without blowing the shoulder out..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
In a 7x57 I like H414 and about any bullet, the 1x9 seems to shoot anything from the wonderful 130 gr. Speer, my favorite deer bullet to the 175 gr. Nosler partition on elk, and don't overlook the Nosler Accubonds. All my 7x57 have a 30-06 length box and the rifles are throated to seat bullet out to 06 length. Just another way of improving a 7x57 case without blowing the shoulder out..

I've been using 150 gr Sierra Gamekings and RL19. I might try some Nosler Partitions in it sometime.