New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Custom Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a new custom rifle at the Tulsa Arms Show last weekend, built on a Yugoslavian 24 action and chambered in 7x57. I've been working up some loads for it and am having great results with 150 gr Sierra Gamekings and Reloader 19. I can't find any makers name on it and the only markings are on the barrel just in front of the action. Anybody have any idea on who it might have been built by?

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, I didn't think it would be any of the top builders that would have made it, but just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas on it from the markings. I figured it probably is a Douglas barrel from the markings but just wasn't sure what the J inside the circle might be for.

The rifle does have its few flaws but it just really seemed to catch my eye, and I've been wanting a nice 7x57 to play with.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm very happy with it. It has a heavier contoured barrel that makes it a pleasure to shoot with about the recoil of a 243.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Why don't I ever find cool stuff like this!

The best I've done is a Feinwerkbau 124 for $150 about 10 years ago.

A friend of mine got a Winchester Model 100 in .308 NIB (original box) at Cabela's in Buda 5 years ago. WOW to that!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! If you don't mind me saying so, it is a little like the one I posted pics of in this forum a day or two ago--a very nice job by a guy who is/was not at the very top of his craft, but who could turn out a nice rifle that a working man could afford to buy and would be proud to own. Congratulations on your recent purchase!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I noticed some of the resemblances of your rifle as well. Have you pulled yours out of the stock to see if there are any markings on the bottom of the barrel or in the barrel channel? If you dont mind me asking, where are you located in Oklahohoma?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Why don't I ever find cool stuff like this!

The best I've done is a Feinwerkbau 124 for $150 about 10 years ago.

A friend of mine got a Winchester Model 100 in .308 NIB (original box) at Cabela's in Buda 5 years ago. WOW to that!

Haha gotta be in the right place at the right time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:
Thanks! I noticed some of the resemblances of your rifle as well. Have you pulled yours out of the stock to see if there are any markings on the bottom of the barrel or in the barrel channel? If you dont mind me asking, where are you located in Oklahoma?

The only markings on the barrel (beside the caliber) are the letters, "CP". The maker's name (J.E. Moates) and the name of the original owner are inscribed on the magazine floor plate. I'm in Lawton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that your rifle is a perfect example of what a simple, purposeful tool, that can also be continually admired, should look like. I have in my collection several more perfectly executed works of art, but they never seem to come out of the safe. Great find.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:
I think that your rifle is a perfect example of what a simple, purposeful tool, that can also be continually admired, should look like. I have in my collection several more perfectly executed works of art, but they never seem to come out of the safe. Great find.

Thanks. That's exactly how I saw the rifle as well, a nice classic custom that is as pleasing to look at as it is to use. I have a nicer custom as well built by John Mercer and Mark Penrod, and I use and enjoy it as well. Here's a picture of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jmbrown, I have seen pictures of that Mark Penrod rifle of yours somewhere on the 'Net. It deserves a pic-laden post of its own!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mightymouse:
Jmbrown, I have seen pictures of that Mark Penrod rifle of yours somewhere on the 'Net. It deserves a pic-laden post of its own!

I've been meaning to do a post for it. Maybe I'll get around to getting some really good pictures of it soon and do that. It's actually back at Penrod's now for a new barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you rebarrel it? Beautiful rifle!

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:

Well said, I could very easily find a home for it in my safe.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
Why do you rebarrel it? Beautiful rifle!

After many years of use the headspacing had worn it's way to the top of tolerance, and the inside of the barrel looked like an alligator hide from all the fire cracking.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I was on my way to a gunshop to pick up two guns I had been wanting and I stopped by a gunshow just for S&G.

I ended up passing on a custom 218 Bee in a Highwall that had been done in the 1940's and a very nice VZ-24 6.5x55 that had an amazing stock for not much money.

I don't remember my purchases as they have long since been traded away, but those two rifles are reminders to not hesitate on good guns.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I was on my way to a gunshop to pick up two guns I had been wanting and I stopped by a gunshow just for S&G.

I ended up passing on a custom 218 Bee in a Highwall that had been done in the 1940's and a very nice VZ-24 6.5x55 that had an amazing stock for not much money.

I don't remember my purchases as they have long since been traded away, but those two rifles are reminders to not hesitate on good guns.

I bet that 218 Bee would have been a blast to shoot!
I have ended up trading and selling off quite a few nice factory rifles in a hurry to get the nicer custom rifles before sombody else did and have no regrets on doing so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever made that gun did so post-WWII and had a very good eye for line. I wouldn't be surprised if it was old Nubs Fashingbauer.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Wright:
Whoever made that gun did so post-WWII and had a very good eye for line. I wouldn't be surprised if it was old Nubs Fashingbauer.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find anything that may link the rifle to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC the circle J was used by Paul Jaeger. You might contact Dietrich Apel or J. Mercer for confirmation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pick up, great caliber. Congrats

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
IIRC the circle J was used by Paul Jaeger. You might contact Dietrich Apel or J. Mercer for confirmation.

Thanks for the info. I just emailed John Mercer and he said he's not for sure if it's a Jaeger rifle and the date on the barrel was about 10 years before he started working there. Guess I need to see if I can find an email address for Dietrich Apel now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Beautiful pick up, great caliber. Congrats

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun. All the gun shows around here have are black guns and overpriced Remington pumps.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might be able to contact Dietrich Apel here

www.germanhuntingguns.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead, I will try to contact him.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry to butt in here. But, if any of you Penrod fans are also bench rest-wildcat fans, might want to head over to GunBroker and search this title. Seems like a lot of gun at a low starting bid. CB
J.M. PENROD Bench Rifle 6mm BR

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Sorry to butt in here. But, if any of you Penrod fans are also bench rest-wildcat fans, might want to head over to GunBroker and search this title. Seems like a lot of gun at a low starting bid. CB
J.M. PENROD Bench Rifle 6mm BR

That is a good deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice mauser. Great lines. Congrats Smiler

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
According to my Jaeger info. your rifle was made by Paul Jaeger Co. when Dietrich Apel ran the company in Tennessee. The half circle with the "J" inside means it was made by Jaeger. Their (logo). Made in June 1978 with a XXX Douglas barrel and was the 317th rifle made there. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Tom.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
BTW, Jmbrown, the wood on your Penrod/Mercer is wonderful. I really like the contrast of that fine ink grain against the lighter wood. CB

Posts: 5117 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, Jmbrown, the wood on your Penrod/Mercer is wonderful. I really like the contrast of that fine ink grain against the lighter wood. CB

Thanks! I love the wood on it as well. I can't wait to get it back from Penrod after he gets the new barrel on it and see how it shoots.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Same caliber for the new barrel? Which?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody have any idea on who it might have been built by?

No idea. But it is a very nice looking weapon indeed. Thank you for sharing the picture.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:
Anybody have any idea on who it might have been built by?

No idea. But it is a very nice looking weapon indeed. Thank you for sharing the picture.

Thanks! I've really enjoyed the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same caliber for the new barrel? Which?

Yes, it will still be a 7mm Rem Mag. I couldn't think of a caliber that would have been much better for an all around hunting caliber for anything from antelope to elk.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lots of great bullets in .284's. Never owned a 7mm RM. Let me know how it shoots through the new barrel and the barrel twist. I'm a huge fan of 7's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be a 1:9 twist. I'm a big fan of the 7mm's as well. I'm planning on shooting 160 gr Sierra Gamekings out of it, but will try several other bullets as well to see how they do.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'm hooked on Noslers. I recently had a short barreled 7X57 (16 inch maybe) with a 1:8.7 inch twist that loved 175 grain Nosler Partitions and H4831. I'm not sure how they or H4831 powder would perform in a magnum 7.