New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob emmons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody know of this gunsmith and his work?

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob was a charter member of the ACGG, served as president..passed away several years ago...He did the photography for Kennedy's book. He had a distinctive comb nose shape on his stocks..something like a triangle was formed.

First rate work!, he and Ted Blackburn cooperated on a ACGG rifle project..a 416 on an Enfield..maybe No. 10 or so...visit ACGG@ACGG.org to find out more

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane, I just let a .375 he built pass through my hands, the price was fair I think,just wasn't sure it should have kept me up the last couple nights...but it did.Perhaps I should have pulled the trigger. From what I could tell everything looked first rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a prevoius post I wrote about how a smith I hunt with came into possession of one of Emmons' stocks. Have no idea what the owner chose to restock with.

Stock is inletted for a pre-64 Winchester 70, Blacbburn Bottom Metal, which is being replaced and barreled into a .280.

Emmons has a reputation for trim lightweight "mountain rifle" type stocks.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
First rate work!, he and Ted Blackburn cooperated on a ACGG rifle project..a 416 on an Enfield..maybe No. 10 or so...visit ACGG@ACGG.org to find out more

looks like #4...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Emmons and Blackburn reportedly build a second rifle identical to their Guild Raffle project. I never saw it but it must have been a dandy as was the raffle gun!

SDH

Yes they did, Ted had the second rifle at the Lassen NRA Custom Rifle one week class in 1991, so the class had a hands on look at both the finished metal and wood. WOW, is all I can say about it.

Since it was such a close dupicate of the raffle rifle it pissed off some people.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, do you know if that rifle was a .375? I'm gonna die if that was the one I passed on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No it was a 416 Rigby on a Enfield, double square bridges, M70 safety and slightly drop box trigger guard.

I still have notes on the metal work somewhere, as I kept that class and the one Tom Burgess did later at Lassen in the same note book.

James Wisner

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend bought the Bob Emmons 375 mentioned above and last week I spent a couple of hours looking at it. It is a wonderful rifle. Dark walnut stock with feather crotch figure. Jeweled action parts. Fleur de lis checkering. Quarter rib with folding leaves. Barrel mounted sling swivel base. Tasteful front sight ramp. Lyman 48 receiver sight plus detachable scope rings with Leupold scope.

All-in-all a top quality rifle.