New
Find
Notify
Tools

mexican mauser .257 or 6.5 x 55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have a 36 mexican action wondering when I start down sizing which would be easier to sell. I love the swede, already have one in 7x57, never shot a roberts but own a model 70 and probably won't use it. What are your thoughts?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Me, I'd ditch the Roberts. I just like the 6.5x55 better.

The .257 Bob is a cartridge that appeals to many folks and thus may also be easier to sell.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
You see fewer custom 6.5x55 on the market so if I were to sell it this may be a decent selling point to differentiate the rifle. If I were going to build it to use it I would definitely go with the 6.5!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'm no gunsmith. But, what about the 6.5X57? Same case length, base diameter and shoulder diameter as the 7X57 therefore less tweaking needed?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I'm no gunsmith. But, what about the 6.5X57? Same case length, base diameter and shoulder diameter as the 7X57 therefore less tweaking needed?
I had the same thought, but a gun chambered for a non-standard cartridge might be harder to sell.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
257 will be easier to sell. And once you shoot a Roberts, you won't want to sell it. Great round. Load bullets long and hot; ignore loads for short mags.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
257 will be easier to sell. And once you shoot a Roberts, you won't want to sell it. Great round. Load bullets long and hot; ignore loads for short mags.

barf

The 6.5x55 will do anything the Bob will do, only better. You can load it down, like I do for my boys (100's at 2700 fps) or like Duane said, load it up to where it runs with the .270.

The .257 is a great round and I have three but since I built my first 6.5x55, none of the Bobs have been out of the safe.

As to 6.5x57 vs 6.5x55: I've built several of both, never noticed the 6.5x55 being any more difficult to get to feed properly. They are ballistic twins, so pick whichever floats your boat. If it is an issue, the 55 definitely has more factory loads available here in the US.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build the rifle in the caliber YOU want.
Selling it will be your heirs’ problem.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 36 Mexican was originally a 7x57, I'd go with the 257R, rather than the 6.5x55. Certainly wouldn't have any feed problems with the 257 since it is just a necked down 7x57. 6.5x55 is a very good round....have several rifles in this cartridge and do enjoy shooting them. But then, enjoy shooting my 257R rifles just as much.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys I have 3 other 6.5 swedes, a 6.5 x 57, and a 6.5-06, but I don't have a 6.5 mex, guess i'm going to work on that.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
never shot a roberts but own a model 70 and probably won't use it.

Assuming the Model 70 is a 257, why not either shoot it and see if you like it or skip the 257? If you have one and don't shoot it, why would you build one? Sorry, as I get old, I start using common sense on gun decisions. By my reasoning, you have it backwards, I'd make the Swede a 6.5x55 and the Mexican a 7x57.

Disregarding the above, I'd go with the 257 on a Mexican. 6.5x55 is a great caliber and would like to have one, but would think a Swede in 6.5x55 would appeal to the masses more than the premium that a '36 Mexican would bring if you are thinking resale.

In the end, build what you want, if it's a full custom caliber will be the least of the concerns on resale.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I stayed with the 7X57 on mine. IMO, a great cartridge as are all the others listed so far. It would be really hard to make a bad choice here.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Glen71. Most fans of the '36 Mex might not be scared away by a 6.5X57 caliber. Back on track, I don't have enough experience selling rifles to know which of the two would give the best return on the investment. I'd probably listen to Duane or Mike MC. Ray

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:

As to 6.5x57 vs 6.5x55: I've built several of both, never noticed the 6.5x55 being any more difficult to get to feed properly. They are ballistic twins, so pick whichever floats your boat. If it is an issue, the 55 definitely has more factory loads available here in the US.
Mike, I see your feed logic if you going to tweak the action anyway. I was concerned that the slightly thicker rim (+.008)of the Swede might add to the initial cost of the project assuming the 57 based cartridges would need no feed work. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want a standard 6.5, go with the 260 Rem. Easy to get or make brass and it is standard bolt face. I still like the 257 best; if I am going bigger than 257, , I am going to go a LOT bigger than 6.5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sporterized Mexican Mauser I bought based on the assertion that it was in caliber 6.5X57. Guess what, it turned out to be 6.5X257 Roberts, slightly different from the 6.5X57. No matter, the performance is the same, and it feeds better than my 6.5-08 (.250 Remington) on an Oberndorf action.

One problem with .257 Roberts factory loads is that Remington paired the cartridge with the 722 action, resulting in an over all length which results in heavy bullets seated too deep. Not a problem with the Mexican Mauser.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is why I recommended to ignore loads made for a short action and seat your bullets out to almost meet the rifling (ignore any crimp groove too). That way you can use all the powder space. I have a Ruger 77 with a really long throat and I get 25-06 velocities easily and safely. Actually higher but I don't want to scare the timid. Bullets are barely seated into the case. I also have a M70 with a shorter throat but I can still use the long mag to good effect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 6.5x57 BUT, I suspect factory ammo would be very difficult to obtain in the US. Same goes for factory cases for reloading. What's more, the ballistics for the 6.5x57 are for all practical purposes identical to the 6.5x55. So, you're back to the original question, 6.5x55 or .257 Roberts Big Grin

Posts: 58 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 05 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 or the 6.5 creedmor really liking that round.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonewoof:
I like the 6.5x57 BUT, I suspect factory ammo would be very difficult to obtain in the US. Same goes for factory cases for reloading. What's more, the ballistics for the 6.5x57 are for all practical purposes identical to the 6.5x55. So, you're back to the original question, 6.5x55 or .257 Roberts Big Grin

I have a BRNO 22F in 6.5X57 for which I have loaded ammunition for years. One pass through a full length sizing die is all it takes to turn 7X57 cases into 6.5X57. 6.5X55 brass, on the other hand, is mainly available from Norma and Lapua, a much more expensive proposition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by lonewoof:

I have a BRNO 22F in 6.5X57 for which I have loaded ammunition for years. One pass through a full length sizing die is all it takes to turn 7X57 cases into 6.5X57. 6.5X55 brass, on the other hand, is mainly available from Norma and Lapua, a much more expensive proposition.

Yes, that's a valid point. You can form the cases easily enough from other brass.

Posts: 58 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 05 July 2013Reply With Quote