THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Shadow lines on cheekpiece and ejection port
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow lines on cheekpiece and ejection port
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
Fellas,

I've been slowly whittling away at this stock for awhile and recently cut in some shadow lines along the ejection port and cheekpiece. I extended the on in the cheekpiece some and added an open 1/4 curl in the shadow line as it ends in the grip.

Your thoughts? I've still got to do the finish sanding but they won't change much after doing that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
For the cheekpiece area, I've always used a flat file to cut the shadow line. it makes a clean line that is controllable, even in the curved area. You can cut a clean and sharp shadow line extremely fast with the file.

I think yours turned out nice, I'm not a professional by any means. I don't know what the pro's use but the knife and chisel looks like a lot of work.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I only used a razor as the shadow line approached the curve. Otherwise I do use a big wide fine cut file and keep it square that way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use a razor knife to marke the edge but then like Rub Line a flat file to sharpen it up. The shadow line on the port and the curve on the front of the cheep piece are not my cup fo tea. But, it is your rifle you need to build it the way you want it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote