THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    1989, 90, 91, 92, 93------2022 375 take down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1989, 90, 91, 92, 93------2022 375 take down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1989, built a 375. based on pre 64 M-70 for a NY client.. With integral barrel,. accuracy was terrible...Bit the bullet and made another integral barrel..but not the end of the story. Old barrel laid around my shop for years, customer (AR Member) decided to flip a coin and I installed it on his post 64. While not a tack driver, now consistently kept three shots in 1 - 1/4" Go figure!

Eventually, he sold it to a fellow, who also happens to be an AR member. Well, it changed hands again. This man kept it for a few years, then sold it to another...by this time, the rifle had taken on a new dimension..."Wiebe custom 375" Latest owner smelled a rat, took it to Champlin Arms., where Geroge Caswell. proclaimed.."Barrel looks like a Wiebe, but the rest of the gun is crap"

Graciously, a refund was given , and he called upon me to "Make it right and might as well make a take down.

Fairly simple idea to make up for any thread wear...Just moves the fore end plate tighter against the buttstock plate.

I'm a die hard claw mount fan, but have to concede that the Recknagel G 9 Plus is just about the best QD system I've seen. And they come in at less than half the cost of a claw set up. I would not ignore the EAW mount either.

Weather conditions have not allowed a trip to the range as of this writing.

Just could not live with the appearance of the post 64 bolt handle...musta been designed on a Monday morning!

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
May I ask if you sign your work in any way? I have custom rifles where the wood, the metalwork and the engraving are all signed by their authors by engraving or stamping.

That can be reassuring to a buyer!

Beautiful rifle, BTW.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
May I ask if you sign your work in any way? I have custom rifles where the wood, the metalwork and the engraving are all signed by their authors by engraving or stamping.

That can be reassuring to a buyer!

Beautiful rifle, BTW.

Yes, both metal and wood.. (Be careful where you leave your signature!) The history on this barrel clearly shows "misunderstanding"

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the story behind this rifle. Glad it all worked out for everyone involved.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biebs...didn't know if you wanted to be metioned...your help was very appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now my friend "Goose" has a bona-fide Wiebe rifle! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

When you originally installed the barrel on the post-64 was that all you did with no additional alterations/customizations performed? Is that why the current owner was suspect it was your work?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the barrel..it was the Boyd's stock! and action was not refined in any manner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I know the story behind this rifle. Glad it all worked out for everyone involved.

Me too...

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lesson to be learned. Always best to call upon the guy who sdupposedly built the custom (If still on the green side of the grass))

In this case, thousands of $$$could have been saved.

There's actually etnically challenged folks out there!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
(Be careful where you leave your signature!)

Words to live by. Especially if that signature is finely engraved next to your build number.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote