New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfields Are Making A Comeback
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought with all the attention Enfields have been getting now is a good time to put some more pictures up. Just finished this one up for a member here, caliber 416 Rigby.

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Dang, that's nice. How many down? 4?

I'm starting to have wished for a straight bolt handle and 3 pos safety on mine!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it! You can sure send it to me if he doesn't like it!

I really need one of those..........maybe in a 505.....

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick, as always, great work. You sure did some beautiful work on mine.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I really like the re done tang. Did you leave the rear guard screw in the same location?

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So that's what those 1-2-3 blocks are for!

Nice Job Nick!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super nice work, great execution. Bridges look like Brno/CZ dovetail/mounting system.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears to be in the same position, just a blind hole now.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Nick
Is there any chance that you will be doing a run of boltstops for M98? There seems to me a decent market for them.

Your work is always outstanding!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I just realized why that barrel contour looks familiar. It is a dead ringer of the barrel on Ozhunter"s 425WR. Very unique!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 down Wiebe bottom metal (no drop). It could almost hold four down due to the width of the box but it would start to alter the grip to much, CZ dimension dovetails uses Alaska Arms rings, bases are soldered and blind screwed, rear screw location is original but the tang is longer, the rear of the bolt is machined forward to narrow the bolt handle and the tang extension also takes up the extra space in the bolt handle notch. In addition to the narrow handle th safety is machined to advance an additional turn.

The only thing missing is the 30-S style guide rib which I will be incorporating into future builds it really smooths th bolt travel and reduces wobble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Nick
Is there any chance that you will be doing a run of boltstops for M98? There seems to me a decent market for them.

Your work is always outstanding!

Not for a while I'm focusing on the Enfield work and other misc. projects that need to get done. I'd like to but to many irons in the fire.

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Nice work Nick! beer

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome metal work..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would make Tom Burgess proud.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
is that a stepped barrel? can you show a pic of the whole barrel?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work. If you get a chance I'd like to see more detail pic of the bolt handle mods.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was this completed with a stock?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Nice work. If you get a chance I'd like to see more detail pic of the bolt handle mods.
Don

This is the bolt handle that Nick did on my Enfield.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Big thumbs up Nick. Very "crisp" work. I've never owned an Enfield custom. Just Mausers. Do Enfields have a lug under the front receiver ring like 98 Mausers? Thanks for the pictures. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See the front recoil lug.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. Thanks. Those Enfields are starting to grow on me a bit.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick, if you can do that with an Enfield, no wonder there's interest in them. Makes me want to find an old big-bore A-Square rifle and send it to you to pretty up! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He can sure do it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work

But with all that work is it really a Enfield any more?

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb metal work!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work.
Do you guys keep a written log and photo album of the different variations that you add to each action type?
It seems that it would be a shame to lose all record of these pieces over time.

This level of modification reminds me of a comment by a non gun owner about modified rifle.
He said "There is nothing left of the original rifle except the hole in the barrel."

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the time when Enfields were first having a sporterizing boom, some writers, including Keith I believe, warned that enfield firing pins could come back when the rifle fired and injure the shooter. There was a device known as Clarke Eye Shield that was offered as a remedy. Was this a legitimate concern? If so, how is the condition handled today?

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr:
During the time when Enfields were first having a sporterizing boom, some writers, including Keith I believe, warned that enfield firing pins could come back when the rifle fired and injure the shooter. There was a device known as Clarke Eye Shield that was offered as a remedy. Was this a legitimate concern? If so, how is the condition handled today?

Looks like you asked this question before.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...941064321#5941064321

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is there a problem or not?

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Have you ever taken an Enfield bolt apart? There are much smarter guys on this thread than me, but for the life of me I can't figure out where it would fail and send the firing pin backwards. It would have a failure somewhere else on the action before you hit the pressures needed to shear something in the bolt assembly that would release the firing pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a reliability standpoint, I think the Enfield has prven itself.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe confusing it with the Springfield's two piece pin.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
There always seem to be a number of P14 complete rifles that appear on our main NZ auction site, Trademe. Pricing wise not too bad, have seen a few on there for around the $500.00 NZD. Could be the go for a .404 project me thinks.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like them!

Posts: 1308 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McGorgeous!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote