THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Any pictures of a smaller bore custom using a CZ 550?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any pictures of a smaller bore custom using a CZ 550?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I'm contemplating a partial custom 7x57, I wish I could afford a GMA action or find a nice M98...but what is within my reach is a CZ550 to use as the base rifle.

There are a lot of builds using the Magnum length version of this action but I haven't seen many customs using the standard action in calibres similar to the 7mm Mauser.

Anyone out there with pictures or advice about using one of these to build a nice rifle...I'm thinking a custom stock, 3 position safety, possibly a quarter rib etc?

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have two similar projects under way

ZKK 7x57, AHR 3 position safety, new bottom metal, talley rings, Roger Vardy wood and iron sights.

CZ550 7x64 with the same as above.

Don’t have pics yet as they are still being built.

I really do like the Brno/cz actions.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing a couple...Using Mexican actions on both...Light weight, exact size...what's not perfect?

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gents I appreciate it!

MD375, are those 3 position safeties still available from AHR? I was under the impression they had gone out of business. I'd love to see your rifles when they're done! Out of interest are you using the CZ barrel as well, or rebarreling with something else?

Duane, those rifles are going to be fantastic no doubt! I was wondering though about using the CZ 550 in particular for a smaller bore gun...have you used these much in the past?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MD375, are those 3 position safeties still available from AHR? I was under the impression they had gone out of business.

The three-position safeties are still available, to gunsmiths.

No, we have not gone out of business. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M..far as AHR, guess that's been answered..Used them myself..first class!

I have not used the CZ smaller actions...Used 550's a couple times for big guns (See recent post on Custom Riles..505 with embellishment)

Nothing against CZ barrels, but so far have needed to use other contour.

No photos available so far...in the works

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AHR does a great custom build on standard 550s as well. Obviously their focus and customer base has been centered on the magnum actions. I have a .416 Ruger they crafted on a standard 550 action. It has his a synthetic stock and is beautifully made. It is obviously not a "smaller bore", but is on the standard action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bitterroot,

I was clearly under the wrong impression, I read on your website you were directing customers to Matrix for any future CZ work and jumped to the wrong conclusion. I do apologise!

It's good to hear you're still making the 3-position safeties though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
quote:
MD375, are those 3 position safeties still available from AHR? I was under the impression they had gone out of business.

The three-position safeties are still available, to gunsmiths.

No, we have not gone out of business. Where do people come up with this stuff?

A lot of people think you don't sell the safeties based on your website.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of people think you don't sell the safeties based on your website.

You're right, I do have them buried in my shopping page and you need to look for them to find them. I do that because I only sell to qualified Gunmakers anymore, and only a select few at that. I have had problems in the past with guys doing horrendous installations, just scary, and they were supposed "Gunsmiths". A guy needs to call me to initiate the sale then I can activate the website so he can make the online purchase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matabele,

The factory CZ barrels are an excellent hammer forged barrel. I don't see a need to swap it out unless you want a different contour. In all the CZ's I've worked on I came across maybe one that didn't shoot well.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If I were you, and could find one, I would start with an original Mauser 98 action.

No need to re-heat treat or do anything else, except cut off the ears for the stripper clip and rust blue.

Then just screw on a good rust blued 7x57mm barrel (with or without iron sights, your choice).

Then stock it with some nice wood, drill and tap the action for scope mounts, mount a scope of your choice, and Bob's your uncle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matabele:
Thanks for the replies gents I appreciate it!

MD375, are those 3 position safeties still available from AHR? I was under the impression they had gone out of business. I'd love to see your rifles when they're done! Out of interest are you using the CZ barrel as well, or rebarreling with something else?

They should be available. When I purchased mine, I had my gunsmith contact Wayne directly for instructions. Wayne is a gentleman and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

There is a local South African company doing 3 pos for the CZ/ZKK but the AHR is a far superior product as well as more aesthetically pleasing on the eye. My gunsmith was very impressed with them.

Also went with the AHR trigger for the ZKK, it is an upgrade that is well worth it! Timeny on the CZ550. I find the trigger sits better towards the rear of the trigger guard instead of in the middle like the factory trigger.

The 7x57 will be using the original barrel because it was a solid shooter.

The 7x64 is being fitted with a walther barrel as I did not like the original CZ barrel contour and length.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote