THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Dumb Question - Can you blue stainless Steel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Question - Can you blue stainless Steel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two brand new match barrels in lightweight contours, either of which would be perfect for my Ruger No. 1 project. I know that lightweight match barrels is an oxymoron... trust me, it's a long story.

My plans for the Ruger are for a complete custom which doesn't include a shiny barrel.

Since I'm thirty years out of date on a lot of this, is there any hope?

Thanks,

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The general answer is yes but "blueing" may be a misnomer. There are processes to blacken Stainless Steel. I have never tried one but they are all advertised as a black oxide process and offered both in shop and for "home" use.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nylite style black matte baked on teflon finish works well on stainless and looks good to me. The last two I had done cost about $200 One of them was a Ruger with the ultra shiny finish. Talk to your smith.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As DR said, yes, SS can be blued but not with the same salts as used for carbon steel. . If you want it painted, then you can go as Mike says; there are several products out there for that (paint).

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Robar blackens stainless steel. This is a firearm with their blackened stainless from their website:

I used their services for a complete NP3 treatment. They had a fast turn-around and the work was exceptionally well done.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had it done by this guy:

http://gunblue.homestead.com/

With good results.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Melonite/Black Nitride "blues" SS. Bead blasted before treatment it comes real close to some rust blues.

Posts: 680 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really want rust blue... even if I have to buy a new barrel. I was afraid that I couldn't use the stainless steel one.

Dick Wright

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
But Dick, people use stainless steel because it is resistant to rusting. Perhaps you could trade one or both of your stainless barrels for the rusting kind. Smiler

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not Cerra Kote? It's very durable and is available in various colors, such as lime green and bright pink.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cerakote; Midnight Blue, looks almost like blueing.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,

I'm an old guy... If I get a hunting rifle, I want good walnut and rust blued metal.

Target guns are something else again.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Wright:
Sorry,

I'm an old guy... If I get a hunting rifle, I want good walnut and rust blued metal.

Target guns are something else again.

Me too. Dulite make some good chem for bluing stainless. I have the set up but don't have any chemicals anymore or I would say just bring it by.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Unico of Milwaukee" does it, google them up, they have a website.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The black oxide finish for stainless steel offered by both Unico of Milwaukee and Dilute is a black passivation process. It is NOT rust blue nor the same black oxide (rust) finish they use for standard steels. You cannot rust blue stainless steel because stainless steel does not rust the same way that standard steels do.
quote:
BLACK PASSIVATION (BLACK PASSIVATE) is better known as "Black Oxide Class 2, Black Oxide Class 3, or Black Oxide Class 4" for corrosion resistant steel alloys. It is a conversion coating that produces a uniform, attractive, and non-reflective black finish on stainless steels. It provides a permanent black color with exceptional strength and elasticity. The finish does not chip, peel, craze, or rub off and provides good resistance to wear and abrasion. The coating reduces friction of moving parts, preventing galling and scoring. Improved corrosion resistance is obtained and there is a negligible .00001 - .00003 dimensional change.

The blacking of stainless done by the various companies mentioned is very attractive and provides excellent protection. But the OP said, "...I want good walnut and rust blued metal". You cannot get that with stainless steel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joel Dorleac sent me pictures of a blued stainless rifle that he built some time ago. If I can find the CD, I'll post them here. The rifle was blued by a company called Boener in Germany, and it looked as close to traditional rust blues as anything I've seen pictures of. Joel is a nice guy to talk to, and he is good friends with many eminent US gunsmiths. You could email him and ask, too, if you'd like to.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how did Remington do it? I believe there is a way to put an iron oxide finish on the barrel allowing traditional rust blue.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stainless barrel run through the hot blueing will turn grey.
In a discussion with a metallurgist a while ago he said it should be possible to plate the stainless with iron (plug the bore) and then use favorite blue. Getting the iron to adhere may be an issue if the plating company has no experience doing it. May take several tries to get right.
Plan on it being stupid expensive.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick, you may remember that I had the Hart Stainless steel barrel on my 300 "blued". It did come out quite similar to rust blueing and was done by a company called Heatbath Corp. if I recall correctly. I think they were located in ohio and I'll try locating them for you.

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 335 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Wright:

My plans for the Ruger are for a complete custom which doesn't include a shiny barrel.

Is there an anodizing process for stainless steel? I remember reading about one for titanium that was not especially complicated.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anodize is for aluminum only I think. My barrels that have been Melonite treated look like rust blue.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anodized titanium comes out as bright colors without the use of dyes.

http://www.electrohio.com/Fini...zing/TiAnodizing.htm

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
Anodized titanium comes out as bright colors without the use of dyes.

http://www.electrohio.com/Fini...zing/TiAnodizing.htm

Hey Dick, Your barrel is SS and not titanium.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you drive a Model T?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vol717... No, I drive a VW and a Porsche.

Butch, I have two lightweight stainless steel match barrels here. I think they are number two's.

They are both stamped "SS". I can't imagiine a custom rifle with good wood, a great stock and a shiny barrel. Thanks but no thanks. The whole gun will be rust blued.

I'm going to order a chrome moly barrel from Douglas today. I had really good luck with their barrels when I was shooting BR.

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So am I.

I really like stainless/sty rifles.

Posts: 19373 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote