New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earl Milliron
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for information on stockmaker Earl Milliron. He had a lot of rifles in the late 60's, early 70's gun digests. Often with Burgess metal work. Anyone have any information or pictures of his work they could share? I did a google search but that did not turn up very much.

Thank you,
John

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earl worked for Kurt Haase , Lafayette CA in the 50's. When Earl decided to relocate, Kurt tell this story...Earl, please move far away, you're too much competition...This was said with a grin, they remained friends.

Earl's style was the was along the lines of some G&H cheekpiece..call it "chin strap"

He has passed on..."Quiet, polite talent" is the way I remember him.

If you can find a copy of "Contemporary American Stockmakers by Ron Toews, his work is shown there

Posts: 3460 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Earl worked for Kurt Haase , Lafayette CA in the 50's. When Earl decided to relocate, Kurt tell this story...Earl, please move far away, you're too much competition...This was said with a grin, they remained friends.

Earl's style was the was along the lines of some G&H cheekpiece..call it "chin strap"

If you can find a copy of "Contemporary American Stockmakers by Ron Toews, his work is shown there

Thank you. I believe I have that book somewhere around here. So many good stockmakers at that time, and so little information on them. If not for Gun Digest and John Ambers love of custom guns, we wouldn't even have the little that we do have.

John

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I believe Jack O'Connor was a Milliron fan.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gasgunner, Earl was one of my closest friends for over 50 years. He taught me all I know about stockmaking, as well as a lot about how to be a good man. I have copies of letters from Jack O'Connor praising Earls work, and naming him the finest stockmaker on earth! The reasons you see so little about his work are twofold 1) he was humble, and 2) he always wanted to build rifles for the average working man. Plus he never was any good at self promotion. He was a fine man, and I miss him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Roundy:
Gasgunner, Earl was one of my closest friends for over 50 years. He taught me all I know about stockmaking, as well as a lot about how to be a good man. I have copies of letters from Jack O'Connor praising Earls work, and naming him the finest stockmaker on earth! The reasons you see so little about his work are twofold 1) he was humble, and 2) he always wanted to build rifles for the average working man. Plus he never was any good at self promotion. He was a fine man, and I miss him.

Thank you for the insight, and sorry for your loss.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Roundy:

Now that is an obituary to strive for!

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen comments (Toews book and elsewhere) about his use of "artistic devices" "he achieved the least bulk of any stocks" in the book. I have never seen one of his stocks. Any idea what the devices are? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:

Thank you. I believe I have that book somewhere around here. So many good stockmakers at that time, and so little information on them. If not for Gun Digest and John Ambers love of custom guns, we wouldn't even have the little that we do have.

John
I found a copy of that book on Amazon. It is $198.00

Craftsman

Posts: 1533 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:

John
I found a copy of that book on Amazon. It is $198.00

That is probably a bargain. My dad paid over $200 for his copy at the Tulsa gun show about 12 years ago.

John

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
There is a copy on ebay wih a buy it now of $124.99, plus shipping.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote