H&W .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A more perfectly built big bore would be hard to find!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is a sharp rifle. I particularly like the cocking piece peep sight. Nice lines on that rifle.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't see Hartmann & Weiss firearms every day. Or every year, for that matter.

Stunning. Words fail me, except for one: envy.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one from Ralf Martini, in 9.3x64 Brenneke. I've always wanted a H&W, and this one was priced right. My new African Stalking Rifle!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find everything OK but not really special.I don't like the wood.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Ever hear of the SNL character Debbie Downer? That's you...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:

Call it what you like but saying things just to be accepted by the majority never appealed to me.IMO,it was in bad judgement for Hartmann and Weiss to use that blank on one of their rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:

Call it what you like but saying things just to be accepted by the majority never appealed to me.IMO,it was in bad judgement for Hartmann and Weiss to use that blank on one of their rifles.

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with saying something "just to be accepted by the majority." On the contrary, I observe that most people here (including you) are very frank with their opinions. (as befitting the kind of rugged individualism I would expect of people who would frequent a hunting and firearms forum like this...) And that's how it should be.

I have just noted that you rarely have anything complimentary to say, even when photos of some pretty darn nice rifles are posted. Seems you always have a derogatory comment to say about something. Like pointing out Cindy Crawford's mole.

So, what does float your boat? Put up some pictures of rifles you do like, and describe the reasons why.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, I find that blank to be stunning. It is rich while still being subdued. Damn, I sound like a wine reviewer.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
That is one nice stick of walnut, absolutely gorgeous. The rich dark color reminds me of what I have seen on a lot of old English guns. Just beautiful, I love everything about it, the CCH on the action is simply marvelous. A more lovely rifle I cannot imagine. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Anyone that has issue with the quality of that piece of wood has there head squarely up there ass. How's that for an opinion. Big Grin

That is one beautiful weapon, thank you for posting Trax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the rifle absolutely gorgeous, the treatment on the action, the cocking piece peep, I love the color of the wood and the checkering over the top.

to speak to the slightly off topic, I have no idea the original reason but shootaway has been on my ignore list for a LONG time, and apparently I don't miss his posts one bit. I have no problem with cindy's mole, but she does have ugly feet.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gather that Shootaways comment is based solely on the asthetic aspect of the wood.ie; How much the color/grain appeals to him personally.
H&W have to consider more than just looks when selecting the blank,they also needed to ensure its properly aged/seasoned and of correct layout & density for a bigbore.
I like color case, but personally prefer rust blue, simply because its many times more durable.
I have been informed by the owner, that the QD rings you see on the H&W .416, are made inhouse, as is the receiver.

Good that we dont see them trying to shoehorn a long magnum into a std. action.
Despite Harry Selbys rifle never suffering lug setback, Mr.Roberts, will tell you that they had many such conversions return with setback issues.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I really like this rifle. For me that's saying alot. Class act with a wonderful caliber.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful execution! I like the fact that it is elegant and classic but not overstated. I would buy it is a heartbeat if I could afford it.
I do wish the trigger was positioned a bit further back in the trigger guard however that has nothing to do with the craftmanship but a quirk of the design.
One particular note of detail. Notice how the standing leaf on the 1/4 rib does not appear a sighting unit but a rest for the folding leaf. I would suspect this is to not impare the view of the front pin when viewing through the peep/ghost ring on the bolt.
Trax; Thanks for the post!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The rifle is outstanding in almost every way. I'm not too hot on the scalloped bolt handle though....

But one question I do have: What is the point of the two gold rings at the breach of the barrel? I see these on a lot of customs and IMO they are terrible. I dislike them almost as much as white-line spacers and Ivory stock inlays.

Am I really the only person with enough taste to realize that the gold rings ruin a the looks of a rifle?
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the rifle is surely well and quite nice (esp. the mounts) made I wonder that everybody seems to like that wood an the emotionality around it. In my eyes (and you can compare it to other pics here on AR or have a look at the new web page) this is not the usual standard of H&W.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need gold inlay as much as you need engraving, on a practical hunting rifle.
I prefer neither.
A couple well executed gold bands on the barrel dont really bother me though.
After all, many people happily put gold ring Leupolds on custom rifles, without ever causing negative comment.
Then again, maybe getting my Leupold VxIIIs' gold rings custom matte black anodised, would look uniquely cool.
Many Folks nowdays seem to put matte scopes on their highly polished custom mausers. If it is for the purpose of reducing glare in the field, then they should probably also beadblast & parkerize all the steel on the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle in a great cartridge.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do I find a cocking piece rear sight like that and can you actually use it with the square bridges? It may just be camera angle but it looks as though if you moved it high enough to clear the bridges it would be too high to mount the scope?

thanks

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Most cocking piece peep sights need to be dialed down in order to stay clear of the scope.
Some fold back so if your quarry happens to run a bit out of range for the peep, it can be quickly folded back and the scope mounted in a hurry.
This rifle has one very similar to the Jeffery patent except it is dovetailed into the cocking piece.
I would think that the peep is purely a reserve arrangement with a low power scope fitted. Why use the peep when you have the scope? But, in the event your scope goes off or is damaged, very nice to have that peep!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the peep sight and it is nicely done here but have always wondered if the additional weight might influence ignition on a DGR?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Huvius
The peep sight is an exact copy of Rigby´s diopter.
@jaegerfrank:

The additional weight is an advantage concerning the ignition but slows down the locking time, what is not so comfortable for precision shooting.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
@Huvius
The peep sight is an exact copy of Rigby´s diopter.

So it is! Don't know why I didn't notice...

Mauser springs are pretty strong - the difference in lock time would be imperceptable IMO.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might find a similar sight?

I know Prechtl makes them. Anyone else?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Anyone have any suggestions as to where one might find a similar sight?

I know Prechtl makes them. Anyone else?

I believe Rusty Martin makes them(he posts on this site).

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
So I guess no one is going to take me to task for my comments on the "queer" gold rings???

I took a second look; even worse than I first thought, they don't even go to the wood-line.

They remind me of pinstripe on trucks.

If I had ordered that rifle and the gold rings did not even continue to the wood line I would be pissed. How could they let that leave the shop?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gold rings are quite common on European high grade bolt actions and also some doubles and -if nicely made of course as it looks here- ahould add to the investmwnt. At the end of the day it is a matter of taste. What might disturb you is that indeed it looks a bit out of place as they normally go along with other gold inletting as e.g. the calibre engraving-which is not the case here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadnt noticed before the gold bands didn't extend to the wood. generaly I like them, they are a simple touch of class, but I concur with they should go with a bit more gold somewhere else. It's like nosing, decking and shaving a hotrod and leaving the trim.

I too prefer the bolt without a scallop and sticking out a bit further maybe. So maybe there are a couple things I would order different if starting from scratch, but if I got it like this there wouldn't be anything I'd change. I must have some day a color cased mauser with at least one square bridge. I like the trigger guard on this which looks larger than standard 98 to my eyes for some reason (is it?).

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scollap is purely to clear scope eyepiece,
I feel they have achieved sensible scope height & maintained traditional bolt style/protrusion.
This is a serious DG rifle, and sensiblely,H&W have kept user friendly ergonomic practicalities in mind.
If one intended to use the rifle opensighted for all its life, or get a higher mount system, H&W would cater to the customer by excluding the then unecessary scollap.
The BM geometry is large bow Oberndorf, by Blackburn.

Another scollaped H&W.

An orig. Rigby with similar style BH, minus scollap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although it might not be suited for this project here is wood that I think is right up there in terms of appearance such that I would expect of H&W.[URL= ]nice wood[/URL]I don't know how one goes to get there hands on wood like this but I guess you would need to have pick of the litter to do so.I also believe that to end up with a beautifull stock you need to find someone who is very skilled at choosing wood.People including myself who went about choosing one themselves have made big mistakes,IMO.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Trax
I hope I am not criticizing a rifle that belongs to you. I thought that you were just posting photos of a rifle you came across on the web.

The rifle in question is drop dead gorgeous. The stock geometry and the geometry of the rifle overall are some of the very best I have ever seen. It is near perfect.

BTW, I really like the Large Oberndorf Bow. It is graceful and is a nice departure from what I am used to seeing. I tried to order a BM with the Obendorf bow from Blackburn about 10 years ago, but he was out of stock. I'll never forget that while I was placing my order Ted said, "What, you don't like my bow?" I was kinda at a loss for words. I think I mumbled something about wanting to try something different for a change.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although it might not be suited for this project here is wood that I think is right up there in terms of appearance such that I would expect of H&W.

I actually like the wood on the H&W better. It is less flashy, but more classy, even regal.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Although it might not be suited for this project here is wood that I think is right up there in terms of appearance such that I would expect of H&W.

I actually like the wood on the H&W better. It is less flashy, but more classy, even regal.
As I stated above,the wood pictured might not be suited for a bolt action project because of this and likewise a conservative blank may not be suited for a singleshot project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"...less flashy,but more classy,even regal." IMO,this wood is not a good example of what you describe.I have a few pictures of rifles with blanks that are so plain but very beautifull.I've taken the pics from another site and don't think it would be a good idea to post them here.I believe the rifles are part of someones collection.I think it required a high degree of skill and a litter pick to choose these too.Also,I think that the look you are attempting to describe is not the German or H&W style,but the english or the H&H or Rigby style.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Regardless of style or rifle type, I would rather have dark wood with dark lines than honey colored wood with dark lines.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also,I think that the look you are attempting to describe is not the German or H&W style,but the english or the H&H or Rigby style.

Ever considered that may be what the customer specified?
H&W were prepared to put their name to the creation.
They are not the kind of shop that would easily do something that might jeopardise their reputation.
I see nothing in the rifle that brings into question, their fine reputation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Also,I think that the look you are attempting to describe is not the German or H&W style,but the english or the H&H or Rigby style.

What a customer wants may not be good for the gunmbuilders reputation or image.In this case I feel he asked for a cross between a not so hot H&H and a H&W.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:

What a customer wants may not be good for the gunmbuilders reputation or image.In this case I feel he asked for a cross between a not so hot H&H and a H&W.

Would that not be up to the gunmaker??

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote