Notify
Tools

H&W .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
"...less flashy,but more classy,even regal." IMO,this wood is not a good example of what you describe.I have a few pictures of rifles with blanks that are so plain but very beautifull.I've taken the pics from another site and don't think it would be a good idea to post them here.I believe the rifles are part of someones collection.I think it required a high degree of skill and a litter pick to choose these too.Also,I think that the look you are attempting to describe is not the German or H&W style,but the english or the H&H or Rigby style.

I bet you argue about what flavor ice cream is best too.

As long as the blank is sound and of proper layout, the rest is just personal preference. Some people like vanilla, some people like rocky road.

Anyone that says that either maker uses a certain "look" stock blank exclusively is making a compelling case about their own ignorance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
quote:
"...less flashy,but more classy,even regal." IMO,this wood is not a good example of what you describe.I have a few pictures of rifles with blanks that are so plain but very beautifull.I've taken the pics from another site and don't think it would be a good idea to post them here.I believe the rifles are part of someones collection.I think it required a high degree of skill and a litter pick to choose these too.Also,I think that the look you are attempting to describe is not the German or H&W style,but the english or the H&H or Rigby style.

I bet you argue about what flavor ice cream is best too.

As long as the blank is sound and of proper layout, the rest is just personal preference. Some people like vanilla, some people like rocky road.

Anyone that says that either maker uses a certain "look" stock blank exclusively is making a compelling case about their own ignorance.
I am afraid it's not that simple.With wood,only quality wood will give a nice and rich appearance.IMO,cork screw wood will not give a good appearance-believe otherwise if you wish,CAS 2.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am afraid it's not that simple.With wood,only quality wood will give a nice and rich appearance.IMO,cork screw wood will not give a good appearance-believe otherwise if you wish,CAS 2.

Shootaway
You are the guy who thought that you can decide the quality of a blank by the price the wood seller marks on it. IMO, your opinion on wood is, well, infantile.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO, your opinion on wood is, well, infantile.

There are subjective parameters for wood and objective parameters for wood. Objective things like strength, grain flow, color, etc. but those things can also be subjective.

And then of course there is beauty, which is almost totally subjective.

I think the better (more respectful to another human being) saying would be "Your opinion on wood is, well, your opinion" and leave it at that.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I think the better (more respectful to another human being) saying would be "Your opinion on wood is, well, your opinion" and leave it at that.

Point taken. And I do wish I had chosen my words more carefully.

I will say that my intent was not to belittle his taste in wood, but to point out that he has a lot to learn(as shown by the fact that he has stated that price=quality in the wood market).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax,
Hate to go off topic, but by any chance, do you have the pics of the forend, barrel band and front sight of that original Rigby? If so, could you please post them or PM them to me?
Thanks,

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
done.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote