THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    9.3x64 on an Enflield 1917 action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x64 on an Enflield 1917 action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
This is a 9.3x64 that was built for a late friend of mine who later pasted the rifle on to me. It's built on a 1917 Enfield action (Remington). The former owner was a slightly shorter man than I, so I bought a semi-inletted stock from GAG and built a new stock to fit me. The stock has dual crossbolts (one is a blind crossbolt behind the front action screw), a wrist pin, and the front action screw and barrel are glass-bedded.

The stock obviously needs to be checkered, but I'll probably tweak it a little and take it out on a hunt or two first. It has taken well over a hundred buffalo with it's former owner, I think there is still another buffalo hunt left before I turn it into a safe queen.

This is the original stock the former owner had on the rifle.

This is the rifle in the stock I made for it.

Not nearly as pretty as some of the rifle on here, but I think it will serve its purpose. Smiler

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well over a hundred buffalo. What kind? Nice looking working rifle.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and great caliber.

I've got a 9.3x62, 9.3x64 and 9.3x74R in my safe and love shooting all of them.

The 9.3x64 was in Afrca last September and was dubbed the laser death ray by the PHs in camp because it just plain killed everything I pointed it at with great efficiency at varying ranges.

Make sure you enjoy more hunting with your fine rifle. Make many more memories with it before it's passed on to another.

Love the 9.3s.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments guys!

quote:
Well over a hundred buffalo. What kind?

Cape Buffalo, and that was just with this rifle. He had many more buffalo under his belt with other rifles.

Chopper, I'm really excited to compare it's effectiveness on game with my 375 H&H. I haven't had the chance to take game with either, guess I need to start booking hunts! Wink

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I think you're giving yourself too little credit. Give that stock some checkering and a steel grip cap and it's a beauty in my eyes. Giving me some ideas for the 1917 action I just bought. Was going to make it into a .375 H&H I just bought, but a possible upcoming buffalo hunt may push my hand to buy a Rem 798 deluxe on sale from CDNN. So then why would I need two .375's? Anyways ideas...

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking stock!

Good job tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a really nice looking rifle for a plain ugly old Enfield action. Wink Just shows that they can come up as nice as most. I am seriously impressed.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Make sure you keep adding to the rifles resume. No sense in stopping now.

One of my favorite cartridges.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give that stock some checkering and a steel grip cap

The stock actually has a steel grip cap. I purchased one of the two screw models from Brownells and blued it myself.

Thanks again for the compliments. I'm taking the rifle out this week to the range to see how she shoots in the new stock.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:
Give that stock some checkering and a steel grip cap

The stock actually has a steel grip cap. I purchased one of the two screw models from Brownells and blued it myself.

Thanks again for the compliments. I'm taking the rifle out this week to the range to see how she shoots in the new stock.
Well your welcome and unfortunately the Buff hunt fell through but I think I'm going to stay the course with the 798 375H&H and then my 1917 into a 9.3 something or other plan.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I knew a Sterling Davenport in Tucson a lifetime ago. Did he do the work?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I knew a Sterling Davenport in Tucson a lifetime ago. Did he do the work?

Bill, I honestly am not sure who did the metal work. Not even sure about the original stock maker either.