Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Guru?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Who are the go to guys for working on Model 70s. I have some New Haven manufactured 70s that I'd like to have gone over, slicked up, better sights installed, etc. etc. etc.

Location in the southeast is a plus.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Ferrell in Georgia is another.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Gallagher near Jasper. Do a google.

Joe A.

Posts: 150 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 70 by Gene Simillion in the shop now and have stocked a couple others. His work is top notch in all respects.

Mark Penrod's work speaks for itself. When it comes to Model 70's he is at the top of the heap.

Of course it would be tough to go wrong with D'Arcy Echols or David Miller, but I doubt they take on the work you describe.

As a more under the radar smith, Craig Maraviov in Woodland, CA does fantastic work. Lee Christianson in Baldwin, WI does some really nice work as well.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
and roger biesen here in spokane

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod...for at least the last 20 years. Outstanding machinist and metal expert.

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
Mark Penrod...for at least the last 20 years. Outstanding machinist and metal expert.

Concur. I've got two rifles built by Mark. His work is perfection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Penrod has worked wonders on a couple of M70's I've sent him and he is the only one I know of who does mechanical work to the trigger and safety similar to how Miller, Echols, & Simillion perform it, without requiring an entire rifle commission. Search the forum for Mark Penrod and you will find multiple threads like this.

Penrod M70

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Lee Christianson of Wisconsin. He has a very good rep over on 24hourcampfire.com as Redneck.

ruber@baldwin-telecom.net

He's currently building my 9.3x62 on a Pre 64 M70, D'Arcy Echols Legend stock and Pacnor barrel.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark Penrod

Does anyone have his contact info?

Posts: 4 | Location: CO | Registered: 10 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
This may be old info

markpenrod@kconline.com
260-982-8385

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Lee Christianson of Wisconsin. He has a very good rep over on 24hourcampfire.com as Redneck.

ruber@baldwin-telecom.net

He's currently building my 9.3x62 on a Pre 64 M70, D'Arcy Echols Legend stock and Pacnor barrel.

Alan

Ha! Just put two and two together. Nice speaking with you today Alan.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:

Concur. I've got two rifles built by Mark. His work is perfection.

+1 Mark's the best, he's the only smith who touches my rifles.

Penrod Precision
312 East College Avenue
North Manchester, Indiana
(260) 982-8385

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Roger Ferrell in Atlanta. 770-460-0533

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
What is Mark Penrod's turnaround time like?

Also, are his time estimates accurate?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
What is Mark Penrod's turnaround time like?

Also, are his time estimates accurate?

His time estimates may not be accurate as Mark has always delivered every rifle he has ever worked on for me well in advance of what he told me he could do. He is also very understanding of his customers needs. Mark will work with you on turnaround times and if he tells you it will be done by a certain date it will be done. Case in point, a few years ago I needed him to work over a stainless M70 .375 that I was taking to Africa for a buffalo hunt in September. I spoke with him in early August and he told me that since I needed it for a late-September hunt he would get it done quickly and I had it back with plenty of time to spare, that is one instance, he has done that for me many times. Mark is both a hunter and a shooter and he is very serious about taking care of his customers. Simply put, he is the best smith I have ever dealt with.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote