New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher forend caps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received (after a very long wait) a full length stock cut by Richards for a SR Mauser 98 from my own English wood, very pleased with the figure and the action inletting. Forend is quite heavy though and squarish. The caps I have are very dainty and would require serious surgery to the forend to blend into the cap. Anyone know of a source of larger forend caps for full length stocks?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice would be to re-examine the stock profile with a view toward using the "dainty" end cap. We Americans have a profound tendency toward making our full length stocks way too heavy in profile. So many end up looking like 2x4's, so few end up with the aesthetics of vintage Old World designs. Just a thought!

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here are a few:
https://www.brownells.com/guns...se-cap-prod1395.aspx

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...detail.php?prod=4284

Ruger has a rather large one I have used in the past, but can't find the link to the part.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was building my M96 6.5 X 55 and decided to go with a 21" barrel and a full length stock. I did not have a lot of money to spend and needed a cap. I took the forend barrel band from the M96, filed a plug piece to fill in the center end below the barrel, welded it in place and finished with files. After some fitting and contouring it fit the end of the stock and barrel perfectly. After all was finished and blued it has handsome enough that I never changed it.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
look a a trapdoor springfield cap. I'll dig up a pic tomorrow

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea the problem with reshaping the forend that drastically is you have to take it all the way back to the action and it's very hard to do that by hand and maintain symmetry. Richards had it on a CNC mill and should know better. I already took quite a bit off with a rasp as the barrel channel did not land in the middle at the tip, that far out. I will try the Ruger item, MidwayUSA has it.

The caps I have are round and about 1" in dia. There's almost no wood left when you factor in the barrel channel and the inletting for the cap itself.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rasp.

LOL that is the hard way, try using a spoke shave and a small block plane to keep the three main sides/profiles even and smooth flowing on the fore arm

JW

Posts: 1442 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the caracao magazine conversion pics. I can't rememmber who posted it. He did a great job thinning out the stock to the tip.

Trapdoor cap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be metal? Maybe a shaped piece of ebony might look just as nice, and you can do that yourself to fit the stock you have.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that idea.
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Take a look at the caracao magazine conversion pics. I can't rememmber who posted it. He did a great job thinning out the stock to the tip.

Trapdoor cap.

Are you referring to the 7.62x39 Carcano frankenrifle put together by Lancaster on nitroexpress?

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post236683

He did a box mag conversion, and is building a stutzen-style stock.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
yes, the 7.62x39 Carcano frankenrifle. I know he didn't use a springfield cap but he did really thin out the forend.

Here's a pic of a carbine stock with the modded musket cap.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Well said sir

I am no expert. Just a guy who loves Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles and other rifles.

I built my own take down stock from scratch - not a full length but still an MS - my 4th DIY effort.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8611058421/p/1

I also finished a semi inletted FL stock for my 1903. Not high quality work but just my second DIY

I did this with a pre inletted blank & so it was not that hard. I got the front cap from Brownells.

I used a lot of photos from the web to make my decisions on the top project which from a raw blank

the Gentleman's Rifle! dancing

quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
My advice would be to re-examine the stock profile with a view toward using the "dainty" end cap. We Americans have a profound tendency toward making our full length stocks way too heavy in profile. So many end up looking like 2x4's, so few end up with the aesthetics of vintage Old World designs. Just a thought!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A large cap would normally look pretty much out of place.

The subtle concave to a mannlicher style can be a little challenging and if not right...looks like hell.

One CAN consider the "schtuzen" (spelling may be off) in which the forearm wood is straight rom front guard screw to cap..I the barrel is not too lon, doesn't look bad...but convex is always fugly

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....may as well add my two cents, for what its worth...I made a snobble ( fore-end cap ) for my 257 Rob. rimmed about 15 years ago using an old Mauser bayonet lug that I welded and re-shaped

...its not as slim as most MS fore-ends, so might be of interest

Roger

Posts: 1040 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also try in the muzzle loader style, pouring a grip cap using the stock to shape your guide.

Or send me dimensions and I can make you one or a dozen Big Grin

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote