THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    The ultimate Mauser comes home//
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ultimate Mauser comes home//
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I owned this gun 30 years ago and sold it but it came home last week to stay, after a tour of the world and being use on all the species of Africa, and well cared for.

A deluxe special J.P.Sauer & Sons 30 US G. 1906 (30-06)., barrel is octagon to the 8.5" Schnable forend and round to the integral ramp front sight at 25 inches full integral rib stipled on top to a mod. 98 Mauser action. the bolt release is connected a receiver sight that pulls out to release the sight ( Ive seen two of these, one sold for $1600, the other for $750.) bolt shroud and safety is faded case hardened, Bottom metal os a lever that swings out to unload, double set triggers, and another set of double set triggers modified by removing the set trigger and using the rear trigger as a single 3 lb.. trigger. 7/8s swivel on butt and barrel, gold oval.

Stock is perfectlylaid out with a light brown matrix and many ebony colored streaks forend connected by a Tennon wedge side panels, ultra fine beautiful checkering. all screws are engraved..

5 shots today with the peep, with the open flip up went into a nice 3/4 of an inch just like it did back in the day..close the peep to the target flip and it shoots one hole at 70 yards. MY varmint rifles cant beat that with scopes..Oh lets not forgot the inletting, its the best Ive seen in my years,,Over all its 95%, no nicks or scratches, no dings, blue is 99%. As much as it was hunted it must have remained in the sock until the shot and it all original finish..

Thanks for listening! dancing

Anyway Ijust had to brag about baby coming home! She was gone way too long

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let's see this long lost child?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant post pictures on AR but I can to your email..The peep sight is something to behold, and it holds its zero..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When is it coming up for sale.

dancing

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray said it was home to stay...he did not say for how long!

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what he said! 2020

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Without pics you're like a girl who only teases!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I had trouble earlier. Getting them posted kinda late.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a Lyman model 35 sight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not a Lyman IM told, and its only desination is patent numbers?? There is supposed to be one for sale on Guns International, but I have not found it?? I know one sold for $1600 at an auction, and another for $700 and I think the one on GI is asking $700..

I played with it at one time back in the day and was busting rocks at about a 1000,not sure where on the rocks or how big the rocks were but I was hitting them. It has a long range stem and a flip up target peep hole..For my use its a 250- 300 yard gun max with a top of the back hold with a thread of air and 3" high at 100. and probably a couple misses before a hit :shocker

To remove the bolt you pull the sight out too the left as it operates of the bolt release. Its amazing that return to zero is 100% and never changes over the years..I had hell figuring out how to get the bolt out and cleaned it with a pull through out of 1903 springfield..Then friend gunsmith clued me in with a laugh..Its my Tinker Toy puzzle for shooter entertainment.

Also the "Tenon wedge" I referred to as the "thingie" for years, I have one on my Renner 7x57 also, They seem to be the best option for a forend, Ive shot many so stocked and it seems they all are accurate and hold a zero?? Perhaps the same tension as opposed to forend screw??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like a Lyman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happened to find a duplicate of your rifle (or maybe it's the same rifle before new pad).
The sight is identified as a Lyman 35.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NOt the same gun but close, appears the same sight but this one is not blued and has several patient numbers on it and all steel, longer shank, there are other subtle differences it seems, maybe a early test shop trial sight or a knockoff??..Does yours have this kind of pat no.s

A little known fact is JP Sauer had an exclusive contract to actually build 98 Mauser military actions for their Mauser rifles..I recall they are just a tad longer and most are stamped with a mark behind the locking lug but not all, but all were that action.. and at one time they were afiliated with Howe of Griffen and howe..
I guess I need to send photo to Lyman? If Im going to keep it I need to do some investigating on its leanage. Rifle has all the bells and whistles.. great french walnut, engraving on tenon wedge and all screws, stippling on front ring and top of solid ring..Thanks for the help need all the info I can get. Bore shows light cordite as would be expected but shoots fantastic and if it goes bad which I doubt, it will make me a great 35 Whelen or 9.3x62..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that any differences are from the photo perspectives, but maybe not. Mauser did show the Lyman sight as available with their actions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im convienced that your correct and mine is just old..I have been informed that all the barrels are Krupt barrels as mine is so marked and that at one time in the 40s and 50s sold for $125.by Flags importers and were known for accuracy and I recall they all shot well indeed, can you imagine what they would cost today..I;ll be shooting whitetail and perhaps a cow elk with it this year if Im on this side of the grass and the creek don't rise. old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A date this fall with your long lost love…

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep and I found another just like the one pictured but in 8x57JS..It may be for a rebore to a 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen IMP???

these guns show the best metal work and love those half Oct/half round, full rib etched and with sight ramp, great French walnut from back when, inletting is perfect, and all Ive seen shot great with irons out to 300 yards off the bench..My old sauer 30-06 shoots 1" at 100, 2"s at 200 and 3"s at 300, more or less but close enough for "guvment work!" and now a matched pair.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nixed the rebore, both shoot to good to monkey and both are 100% orginal other than I replaced the double set triggers in the pictured one with a Timney, but keeping the double sets and purchasing a a bottom metal to return the double sets if need be..the latest is beautiful with dark wood and nice grain and a mint bore, its like new so I named it the closet queen,

My hands are large with short fingers and right hand suffers from an old roping incident and I simply can't handle the set triggers anymore to my dismay, it takes me to my knees to shoot them.. Mad

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120