THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Barrel contour choice for a short mannlicher stocked M98?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel contour choice for a short mannlicher stocked M98?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I'm in need of a barrel like the title say's. I'm going to have a G33/40 action barreled up and want to try a mannlicher style stock. I'm thinking 19"-20" finished. I've never had a mannlicher styled stock before and was wondering about barrel contours in respect to balance and appearance. My first thought was a featherweight contour but after thinking about it for awhile I'm just not sure if that's the right choice. It's looking like a 7X57 or something similar at this point.

I could use a little help here.

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I did a #2 on a 8x57 Mannlicher. I would go with a #1.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Brno 21-F ?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 and a .257 Roberts, both with 20" barrels. The 7mm has a muzzle diameter of .550 and the Bob's diameter is around .590. So a number 1 and 2 contour I guess. They both balance the same to me as the .257 has a much trimmer stock and just feels more lively. Have fun with your search.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The search is over with already. tu2

I called Duane and he said he'd done a few with the F/W contour and they turned out good so I just bought his. Seemed easy enough.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote