THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Lightweight 416 Rem on a Satterlee Ti action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight 416 Rem on a Satterlee Ti action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My client wanted a lightweight 416 Remington for an upcoming bear hunt this coming spring. He knew he would be doing a lot more walking than shooting and the weather could be miserable and wet. Since I make my own fiberglass stocks, that was an easy choice. The choice of an action was another matter; to find a lightweight action that has class. I talked with Stuart Satterlee (Timan here) about his Titanium actions and my client agreed to spring for one of Stuart's magnum Ti square-bridge Mausers (actually two actions since I'm building a matching 375 H&H also). I can't say enough about how nice this action is. It came hand polished to 320 grit or so, the trigger and safety functioned perfectly, the floorplate locked up like a vault, and it fed right out of the box, no fiddling around. Basically, all I had to do for metalwork was to chamber and screw on the lightweight stainless barrel, bump up the trigger weight a tad, and do final polish with 320 to remove the marks I put in it.
The only problem was I didn't have a mold to make the fiberglass stock, and none of my existing molds would fit, so I had to make one. To do that I needed a pattern for the mold, a fully finished stock to the dimensions and style I wanted. I had to make one, from the blank.

I used a cheap piece of English walnut. Stuart let me use one of his steel actions to make my pattern while he finished work on the titanium action.

It had to be fully inletted, sanded and finished as you would do on a custom wood stock.

Here the titanium action is in place.

The smoother the pattern, the smoother the final mold will be.
Here is the pattern stock sprayed with gel coat, which will be the final surface of the inside of the mold.

The gel coat is overlaid with multiple coats of fiberglass. The mold must be rigid.

One half of the mold removed from the pattern, edges trimmed, and glued to a board for more rigidity.

The stock is out of the mold and the two halves glued together as an initial joining. Much more work is needed to permanently join them.

There was a lot more work between this last stage and the completed stock.

The finished stock weighs 25 ounces.

There is Kevlar reinforcement, epoxy and foam fill, internal cross bolt, aluminum grip cap, and an aluminum bedding block.

All metal is 320 grit glass bead blast.

The rifle as pictured weighs 6 lbs-4 oz.

The heart of the rifle. All titanium except for the bolt which I decided upon using stainless instead of Ti.
It was a real pleasure working with Stuart.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, always wanted to know if it was like building a boat! Beautiful lines.

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Before this action I never had a request for a 416 Rem. Mag.
Initially I looked at going with 375 H&H geometry I realized quickly that 375 H&H geometry wouldn't be what I was after for a 416 Rem.
A day on drawings and day on programming gave me what I was looking for, for the 416 Rem. Mag.
At the same time I wanted 4 down comfortably under the bolt with just a little wiggle room vertically in stack.
It's exactly what I wanted to create, 416 Rem. 4 down, standard configuration so it's not drop box for the 4th round.
Nice gun Wayne, I like it.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, 4 down comfortably without a drop box magazine; I forgot to mention that. That was a nice bonus and just what the customer wanted.

posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting, but I get “ the image you request does not exist or is no longer available”

Maybe the problem is from my ISP,

Ed: 01/12. Pictures load nicely today, (not sure why). thanks. Very nice and very well documented project.

Posts: 13 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Krikey that's neat. I'll be patient while the pics are sorted out ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see them on the browser I used to post but not on others. I'll sort it out in the morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice bear stomper.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Jake Jefferson? Paging Jake (Foursixteen to the white courtesy phone!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock looks like it has quite a bit of drop at the comb. Was it made for mainly use with the iron sights, or will it also work with a low mounted scope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you use on the wood so that the gel coat can be removed without sticking to the wood?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
The stock looks like it has quite a bit of drop at the comb. Was it made for mainly use with the iron sights, or will it also work with a low mounted scope?

This rifle will have low mounted scope and the geometry fits nice that way. Most of the rifles I build have iron sights, so with all of the work put into this pattern and mold I am thinking ahead to future builds. When I make the fiberglass stock I can adjust LOP, cast, and toe out, but I can't adjust drop at the toe/heel. That is locked in from the pattern.
I can also use the pattern stock for a duplicating pattern for wood stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
What do you use on the wood so that the gel coat can be removed without sticking to the wood?

It's not shown, but the stock is completely finished with a rottenstone pore fill and hand rubbed oil just like a custom wood stock. Right before I spray the gel coat I wax the stock and spray a mold release on it. It pops right out of the mold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating thread, thank you for posting. Wayne would you be interested in providing more info about how you applied the Kevlar, the foam, crossbolts and bedding block with pictures if you are interested in sharing a deeper dive on this project. Not looking for proprietary tradecraft but would like to see how this is done if you'd care to share.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Fascinating thread, thank you for posting. Wayne would you be interested in providing more info about how you applied the Kevlar, the foam, crossbolts and bedding block with pictures if you are interested in sharing a deeper dive on this project. Not looking for proprietary tradecraft but would like to see how this is done if you'd care to share.

I think I will leave that part a mystery, for now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then a mystery it shall remain, still a fascinating thread though, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great pics and rifle!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle with great appeal to me.
Seeing that at hand I wouldn't be able to resist picking it up and imagining lining up on something big.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an awesome rifle! Thanks for sharing that.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice all the way around!

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle ticks all the boxes for me except I don't want to shoot it. That's going to be fun off the bench.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
A six and a quarter pound 416 will vicious off the bench I think but having a thousand pound bear in front of you will ease that pain quickly. Absolutely gorgeous rifle!

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No iron sights? scope only? Hmmm...Well...the bright side is that should add a pound or more.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
No iron sights? scope only? Hmmm...Well...the bright side is that should add a pound or more.

At the time I posted, the scope choice hadn't been ironed out so I didn't know if we were going with a lighter scope or some Euro monster. Why spend extra $$$$$ for Ti action and custom fiberglass stock to get as light as possible, then put on a 2 lb. scope. We ended up using a Leupold VX5 HD 1-5 in low rings, a relatively light scope compared to many others. I think the whole package weighed 7-3/4 pounds with scope, rings, ammo.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
May seem obvious ----- I wouldn't shoot it from a prone position. Might be a little ouchy.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle and clearly very well made.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That gun is Well made but impractical. My 416 Ruger on an M70 action weighs 10.5 pounds bare. Kicks the snot out of me and I'm not recoil sensitive. I put a Nightforce scope on it after destroying a Schmidt & bender. It weighs almost 13 lb in fighting form and I appreciate every ounce.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
When on foot, I try to keep the overall load light because it's not just the rifle weight, it's also the pack weight too.

Short excursions from vehicles. Pretty much any weight works for me in this type of scenario.

As far as recoil, at least for me. 375 and above, you will take a hit, if that's a problem, shoot a 30-06, If it needs a 2nd shot, give it one, it's only a $1.50 more.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stock and action!

As to the question from Jim re: how the crossbolts, epoxy, foam, etc is applied - think about the two halves and their interior accessibility prior and after joining. That allows for the necessary work - still very masterful. I've reworked a custom fiber/kevlar/foam stock. I can tell you a mix of 2:1 or 3:1 glass microspheres:epoxy is your friend!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That’s a very interesting and well made rifle, but I wouldn’t care to shoot it. My .416 Hoffman weighs 9 lbs, 2 ounces scoped but without ammo. It’s a pre-64 sitting in a Brown Precision stock with the same 1-5 VX5HD scope and is about as light as I’d want to go with any .416 cartridge. The recoil is very tolerable but I think much lighter would be difficult.

Mine shoots great but is not pleasant off the bench while sitting. Standing off sticks is easy though. My personal opinion is under 8 pounds is too light but if the guy can shoot it well, more power to him.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine shoots great but is not pleasant off the bench while sitting. Standing off sticks is easy though. My personal opinion is under 8 pounds is too light but if the guy can shoot it well, more power to him.

My .416T came back from the smith's at 8 pounds even.

One shot was all I need to add weight.

Now loaded it weighs 10lb even and is decent to shoot.

One has to wonder how fast follow up shots will be with such a lite rifle.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered about detached retinas???

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote