THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    What should/needs to be done to a Pre-64
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should/needs to be done to a Pre-64
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Looking at having a rifle built on a Pre-64 action. Rifle will be used for Elk, Moose and Grizzly. Caliber will be 9.3x62.

What should be done or needs to have done to get the rifle up and shooting, accurately?

Stock will be a McMillian in Edge fill. Which version would work best with a scope? Barrel will be a 24" Pacnor #3.

Thanks,

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure they screw the barrel on straight and cut a nice chamber, adjust the trigger, bed it properly and it should be a winner. I would bed the first inch of the barrel and let the rest float unless the barrel is a very light contour. For light contour you may need some forend pressure. I am a bit prejudiced as far as pre 64 M70's go. They are my favorite. The middle action screw should not get tightened as tight as the front and rear screws also.

ETA: Any version from 1948-1958 would be my choice. Earlier than 1948 requires mods for scope use and after 1958 they started cutting too many corners for my tastes.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not always. I just purchased a 1947 standard rifle in 30-06. It was bought new as a HS graduation present by the owner's father that summer. SN: 52,xxx. It was drilled and tapped not too long after and fitted with a Redfield Bear Cub 4X. One-piece mount with a single screw in the rear. Stock was also cut out for a peep on the left side.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have said required mods to use a scope. I don't really care for the Transition style safety, and if you change it you have to either relieve the safety a bit or the bolt handle stem. Of course you can use a 1946-1948 as is with no mods. True pre Wars need various mods depending on scope choice. It ought to work great for the conversion to 9.3 x 62.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Well, what I've done so far is order a complete pre 64 M70 action. I was promised it would be manuf between 1948 and 1958. Also ordered one of D'Arcy Echols Legend stocks. The Pacnor #3 9.3mm barrel is enroute to Lee Christianson as I write this. Once Lee is done with all his magic it's going off to Charley/CAS to have all metal Cerakoted; likely black. Then I'm making plans to go back up to the Seward Pen for Grizzly.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much needs to be done to that rifle, really, other than trading it for one with an Obendorff Mauser action.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
Not much needs to be done to that rifle, really, other than trading it for one with an Obendorff Mauser action.

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can have them modified to handle gas better. I would definitely do that.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at having a rifle built on a Pre-64 action. Rifle will be used for Elk, Moose and Grizzly. Caliber will be 9.3x62.

What should be done or needs to have done to get the rifle up and shooting, accurately?

Change caliber to 9.3 x 64 immediately!

I jest, of course!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:

I have many of both, DO prefer the Mausers, Brno ZGs and ZKKs plus FNs in the 9.3x62, but, my buddy has a 20" tubed P-64 with a trimmed lightened Boyd's lam. stock so chambered that I had for awhile and it is a little gem for Grizzly country.

For my .338WM and .375H&H rifles, though, I have tried a lot of actions and my hands-down pick is P-64.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

You bet your sweet bippy, actually you're betting your sweet eyesight!

This area is one of the Win's few shortcomings but many folks still insist on using the factory breeching system.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Couple of actions arrived today. The Pacnor #3 barrel was shipped to Lee Christianson this week and I have the D'Arcy Echols Legend stock. I just need to pack up the action and stock and send it off to Lee for his magic. From there, Lee will send it to Charley/CAS for metal Cerakoting, stock painting and pad installment.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
after 1958 they started cutting too many corners for my tastes.

About 1992 Winchester reintroduced the features that made the "pre-64" coveted. There's enough variation in the Win. 70 models over the years that it takes a reference book to keep track.

Before I'd take a "pre-64" apart and change everything, I'd leave it as is and think about building on a platform that's not quite so collectible in stock config.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would re-cut loading port, and cut side of bridge for ejection clearance drill & tap for 8 X 40 screws, Trigger re-pinned, sears surface ground & polished. Safety wing timed properly and add new one piece bottom metal.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who does this work, and what exactly do they do?