THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Kimber of Oregon- African Series??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber of Oregon- African Series??
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am wondering if an old Kimber fancier out there might recall who the Washington custom gunmaker was the provided the original design and prototype Stocks for the African Series of the old Oregon Kimbers?? He was apparently in visiting at a great shop in Bothell, WA last week...and they can't remember his name !!
Cheers

470EDDY

Posts: 2563 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You only have five/seven names to pick from. Each one reshaped the Kimber African for Greg Warne at different times in it's history. Darwin Hensley, Jeff Hoke, Jeff Luffboro, Rob Ivans, or John Fittenger. It is possible Steve Little did a couple over the years of prototyping. There was one other shaper whom I have forgotten his name but not his skill. As you can see there have been many hands involved getting to the final product. It would be interesting to know who was the gentleman in question.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the record....Darwin Hensley made the first protoypes of the African rifle. I have held all three in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 505 Gibbs. I know where two of them currently reside.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc!!- Small world!! I know you through Bob at WR when you were lettered to do their stocks...I tried to buy the nice WR box lock at same Store, DJ's in Bothell as we are talking here, that was cut to 12"...and was going to have you lengthen or replace butt stock ...it escaped before I could jump!!
Thank you for your response, yes, Darwin might be the guy that stopped in at DJ's in Bothell and spoke with the owner, Bruce?? Does he live in the Seattle/Tacoma area??
He mentioned to Bruce that he has one of each of the African series calibers and he is the one that designed it??!! I will tell Bruce the name and see if that Clicks??!!
If the 416 you know of ever comes up for sale, please have the owner cntact me....I might buy all three if they were a set and priced OK!!
I'll let you know next week when I see Bruce.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2563 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have to admit my post was incomplete as regards the Kimber African rifle...Darwin did indeed do the original African rifle STOCKS for Kimber of Oregon. However, I have been corrected and need to amend my post. The metal work was done piecemeal by many men/women who worked for Kimber of Oregon. The two outside consultants whom I conclusively know contributed the most time would be Walter Koneig or Jim Wisner. Both lived close to the factory and were consulted extensively. Darwin is last reported to be in a care home for his Alteimer condition...as of last month. Of the two I would guess Jim would be the man in question...he was still hail and hearty and living in Washington state ,last I heard. He owns Lone Pine Mfg. near Chehalis, WA.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc- Very Interesting!! I spoke with a gunsmith for Chet Paulson in Tacoma for years, he mentioned Jim Wisener as well....
I will report back if Bruce recalls the name of his visitor...or if he stops in again....obviously it wasn't Darwin!!
Cheers,

470EDDY