Notify
Tools

Figured Gabon Ebony
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
Fellas,

Think this is worth saving? I haven't seem ebony with curly figure before. Not a bad deal for a seemingly plain block.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Worth keeping if you ask me. If it's not thick enough for a forend tip, cut it in half and epoxy it together so it is. If you don't want to cut it in half, I bet the knife makers could make good use of it.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
It's 2x2x6". Good for three fore-end tips with some wood left for caps and inlays.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a number of Gabon ebony with the lighter streaks in it. I've been accused of putting black plastic forend tips when using only pure black ebony, although I still prefer pure black.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
It's 2x2x6". Good for three fore-end tips with some wood left for caps and inlays.

Then go forth and make 3 rifles because thou has 3 forend tips that need stocks to be put on!

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Most hardwood vendors who stock Gabon ebony offer it solid black (more expensive) or with light streaks. I generally prefer solid but streaked tips sometimes look good too, as long as they aren't too streaked. I've seen some pretty high-end vintage European rifles with streaked ebony forend tips (looks more like horn) so I think it's just a matter of preference.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've done them both ways and prefer solid black for a tip. No right or wrong, just how I like it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the black ebony I've seen is listed as Macassar ebony. I much prefer the black to the light streaks when adding a fore-end tip.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Just to add some variety, I like the streaked ebony. Solid black reminds me too much of plastic tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dumb question ,but how is is attached to the stock ? glued if so which is the best glue to use ? have a block of Gabon i want to put on my cz550

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look in the gunsmith forum there a post there showing how it is done.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of fore-ends with both solid black ebony and streaked ebony. I like them both. For me and my taste, it depends on the type of stock wood and the color/figuring of the stock wood, as to whether the fore-end is solid black or streaked. Big Grin