New
Find
Notify
Tools

.275 Rigby on the way....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking good...got some stock design pictures from the smith today. This is how it will look only in left hand configuration...

I spesifically wanted to capture the pre-WW1 Rigby era...

"Dear Axel,

Your .275 has started and we are in the last stage of the action reshaping and finishing.
We have discarded the too heavy FZH magazine and we have replaced it with an original pre-war Oberndorf one.
Don’t worry about the stock shape as we have at least five pre-war Rigby rifles on the rack...!
We haven’t yet chosen the wood blank, preferring to complete the metal work first.
I will return to you with some photos asap.

All the best."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You had me at 'left handed'.....

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye, life aint easy for us southpawers.. such a vivid second hand market filled with interesting guns - alas to no avail.
So this one has a factory new FZH action..

Cant wait though..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a fine choice. Am also a lefty and had a Dakota .375 made up that used a .350 Rigby magnum stock as template. LOP is 14-1/4 inches and barrel length is 23 inches.

It eventually came out very well, but is relegated to the gun safe as I only use double rifles at this point.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful rifle tim. If only I knew about its existence before I ordered, I would have wined and dined you in ways James Bond babes could only dream of until you agreed to sell it!

Life decided on a Rigby style Mauser for me though, so lets see how that relationship develops. Quite nicely I suspect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Baby, something in that style would be real nice!

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! So next time, order a FZH action rather than a satterlee one yeah Trax?

If its good enough for Hartmann&Weiss, it ought to be good enough for you too Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralf Martini lists H&W and FZH as receiver options, nuff said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think H&W base their recievers off FZH too.

Prechtl is also very good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&W don´t need FZH .
They make their own actions.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you are correct, my bad.
All 3 are good actions thou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!! My idea of how a bolt rifle should look!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huntington's had Norma 275 Rigby marked brass for around $25.00 for 20 Bought 400 cases, don't even have a rifle yet. Good excuse to get one. Looking at Lon Paul to build one on a GMA action in a Rigby fashion.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
H&W don´t need FZH .
They make their own actions.

To the best of my knowledge H&W make Magnum & Kurz length, and the Hagn falling block receivers,
but no new Std length M98, thats based on what they told me.However, maybe things have since changed.
If they are now offering an inhouse manufactured std98 action, id like to know....in the meantime, FZH & Prechtl are the choice way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
changed to left handed? Wink

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
To the best of my knowledge H&W make Magnum & Kurz length, and the Hagn falling block receivers,
but no new Std length M98, thats based on what they told me.However, maybe things have since changed.

H&W make all their Mauser and Hagn actions at their heavy engineering plant based in Suhl, Germany.

The website (only in German) for FZH is: http://www.fzh-gmbh.de/cms/web...tungen/waffenbau.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was always left-handed Wink

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xile84:
It was always left-handed Wink

AH! pays to READ the OP... i thought the rifle pictured at the top WAS your rifle!

Very beautiful metal work (even if the bolt is on the wrong side...)

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone knows what type of bases are on the 350 Rigby last picture posted of the Dorelac rifles by xile84, i.e the one without square bridges, where can you get those bases. Any ideas please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They very much appear to be H&H detachable side-mount bases, or very close renditions thereof.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trax where would you get these mounts any ideas, I thought they were H&H style, not to hijack this thread but a super rifle on the way xile84 and I envy you as I too am a southpaw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

The rifle will be equipped with a proper H&H style Side mount and a swaro Z3 3-9x36 on top.

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Looks great but you need a flag safety Wink

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks better than the m70, agreed..

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 401Nitro:
Thanks Trax where would you get these mounts any ideas, I thought they were H&H style, not to hijack this thread but a super rifle on the way xile84 and I envy you as I too am a southpaw.

These mounts you can get here:
http://www.prechtl-waffen.de/Prechtl/de/Downloads/

pdf -file Waffenteile und Buechsenmacherbedarf

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I hope you enjoy her when she's finished!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing more beautiful than those old Rigby's. Can't wait to see yours.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

pdf -file Waffenteile und Buechsenmacherbedarf

thanks heavenknows

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scope and mount decided.
It will be a H&H style swing mount and a Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 with light...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scope and mount decided.
It will be a H&H style swing mount and a Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 with light...

Hmmm I suspect the scope choice might look a little odd on such a retro classic......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well its more sober than a swarovski spaceship.
And besides, 99% of the time the swing mount wont be mounted.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

That H&H style front sight protection hood works well. I have one on my 9.3 and find you can even shoot with it up if the light is good.
One thing you could add is a bead with flip up Ivory sight. They are wonderful for use on twilight or in dense foliage.
Lovely rifles by the way.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont get me wrong I like swarovski, brilliant optics. But they do have a very distinct look.

I prefer German silver or golden brass to ivory that has a tendency to go yellow with age. Stand up better to hard use..
I think I will go with a slanted flat faced wide “gold” bead that reflect even the lowest light...

Loving your pictures by the way, keep em coming!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And besides, 99% of the time the swing mount wont be mounted.

Indeed I would never put a modern Swaro on a classic rifle! IMHO anything post 1980s is going to look odd.

The Swaro Nova series can be stripped and the tube reblued to the exact same finish as your rifle and then reassembled. Were it me I'd be mounting a 4x32 Nova reblued to match.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I don't know what it is, but there's something about the first pictures posted about the .275 Rigby that just makes me crazy.

It is so elegant, slim yet curved in the just the right places that makes it so irresistable.

There are things of beauty you know when you see them; you don't have to be told. This is one of them for me.

I would love to coddle that rifle both in the woods and in my home. Some things deserve coddling.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dont get me wrong I like swarovski, brilliant optics. But they do have a very distinct look.

I prefer German silver or golden brass to ivory that has a tendency to go yellow with age. Stand up better to hard use..
I think I will go with a slanted flat faced wide “gold” bead that reflect even the lowest light...

Loving your pictures by the way, keep em coming!
Good choice.I prefer the gold or silver bead myself.I think it reflects light too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote