New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 to 300 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is involved in converting a standard size Winchester pre-64 Mod 70 action (30_06) to 300 H&H mag. I have a complete action with no barrel and think that would make a neat conversion.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get hold of a proper magnum action, you can easily see the differences.

For what it's worth, Tom Burgess frowned on such a conversion because of different heat rreatment methods used on each.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burgess preferred to use a Standard action such as 270 or 30/06 to allow him the dictate the amount of metal removed from the bullet ramp area and the size of the bullet nose cut if desires in the front ring. I would have Jim Wisner make you a H&H magazine that had an ID length that was .030 longer than the longest OAL factory load.You might get by with a box ID of 3.590 or 3.600 Machine & place the magazine to the rear as far as is reasonable and carry on. You will need duplicate the feed well a far as the angles and only cut as far forward as the top of the magazine opening. Alter the rails and the top side and leave as much metal as possible. I have done quite a few in this manner, 458 Lott's, 416 Remington's, 375 H&H's, and 300 Weatherbys, done right you have what I feel it is a better Pre-64 action than the Factory H&H Magnum actions for these longer rounds. Always check the RW hardness some can be over 50-C

You will need a new follower and box. Maybe Duane will have the proper stuff, Jim Wisner most likely if Duane does not.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
don't forget the bolt mods. open the face, new extractor...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Done this way eliminates having a knife edge at the top of the bullet ramp as done on so many factory H&H actions. You can leave a .030 to .050 flat behind the lower lug seat and have a .070 longer bullet ramp and leave more metal in the radial front of the feed well. You need to remove the shoulder bumps in the feed well to resemble a Mag actions underside. It takes some work but what doesn't

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Here's a fellow I guided (name escapes me) to a fine ram in the Wrangell Mtns,he was using a DArcy_Echols rifle in 300 H&H! I handled the rifle and it's a dandy too.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
... I have done quite a few in this manner, 458 Lott's, 416 Remington's, 375 H&H's, and 300 Weatherbys, done right you have what I feel it is a better Pre-64 action than the Factory H&H Magnum actions for these longer rounds...

Id follow DArcys suggestions If maximum load length is important to you.
Factory H&H magnum pre-64s, can leave something to be desired in that department,
..especially when loading plastic tipped.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Not to highjack, but I was gonna start a thread on Pre War mag boxes.

Going to Kodiak in April with a 340 Wby built on a ('49) transition long mag action. I can get a fourth down, but feeding the first needs to be massaged due to the Wby shoulders, other 3 down feed as smooth as silk. Was gonna ask if skeletonizing the box is a viable option. (Then again the opposite of good is perfect and that action can cycle all 4 in less than a second [like the flat nose Echols video])

But if I read this thread correctly I should instead use a Pre War (std opened up to 7mm Rem) instead for the Wby cartridge???

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1432 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You have a PM
Pharms

Posts: 161 | Location: KC,Mo Area | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found an excellent condition 264 Win mag barrel for the pre-64 Winchester. Think I'll give that a try.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

posted Hide Post
What would the challenges be when converting a modern production model 70 7mm Rem or 300 Win Mag to a 300 H&H? I assume similar length issues as with the pre 64 action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what size mag box does the 264 Win mag use?

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one or two of the original H&H Length pre-'64 mag boxes, anyone interested. I also have a standard magnum and an H&H magnum action available for sale.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
465 The current G series Mod-70 as it is makes a very serviceable 300 H&H action. Replace the 7mm/300 Win magazine with a 375, 300 Wtby, 7mm STW, etc magazine without the cartridge block. Replace the factory magazine spring with a proper W shaped magazine spring (without the square bend in the lower leg) Replace the ejector and bolt stop and you're almost home. The rails may need some work at the rear most section of the longer replacement magazine. The geometry of this longer factory magazine is the closest to proper dimensions for the 300/375 H&H than any other cartridge in the factory line-up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
465 The current G series Mod-70 as it is makes a very serviceable 300 H&H action. Replace the 7mm/300 Win magazine with a 375, 300 Wtby, 7mm STW, etc magazine without the cartridge block. Replace the factory magazine spring with a proper W shaped magazine spring (without the square bend in the lower leg) Replace the ejector and bolt stop and you're almost home. The rails may need some work at the rear most section of the longer replacement magazine. The geometry of this longer factory magazine is the closest to proper dimensions for the 300/375 H&H than any other cartridge in the factory line-up.

I did just that when converting my Classic M70 in 300WM to feed and shoot heavy VLD bullets. Works like a charm.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote