Find
Notify
Tools

Would this blank come out ok?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this blank, do you think it would come out looking good? I prefer darker stocks and this seems pretty dark. Im no expert with wood and find it hard to imagine what it would like carved into a stock.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it would be too ugly. I'll be in ZA in a couple months-send it down and I'll take care of it for you.

Seriously, I think that will make a VERY nice stock.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I think it would work out quite well.
The grain layout looks good to me.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's too dark and too busy and would be too beautiful. I'd better take it off your hands and save you the problem of dealing with it!

Zeke

PS: I can't wait to see it worked on by a quality stocksmith.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What firearm are you planning to use it on?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks great from the side. tu2 I would be very concerned about how the grain flow is on top and bottom as well. Don't get lost in the color. A blank that has no color but will survive a rugged hunt is worth much more to me than one that is questionable and you have to baby, distracting your attention from your quarry.

I'm not saying your blank is questionable, but you should insure it's up to the task.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James is correct about the top and bottom being a concern too. The problem with pretty wood is it sometimes is only "skin" deep. I have fixed way too many broken gunstocks because of this very problem. Strength is the most important reason for picking a stock....then good looks. But then again... "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments and input! I asked the supplier his thoughts on pretty wood and the possibility of warping and breakage, and he basically replied witht the same info. The whole blank needs to be taken into consideration, as well as density and layout, which he has done for his blanks. So I think It'll work from a practical perspective as well.

Im planning a single shot falling block in 9.3x74R, so with top end loads recoil will be stout but not excessive.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote