Find
Notify
Tools

Grip checkering issue.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I just got this back from my checkering guy and the points don't face each other like I wanted.
I have a few options here.

Question:
Which would you choose or add one of your own ideas.

Choices:
Leave it as is.
Add additonal checkering to the forward point so it points to the rearward point and do the other side to match.
Re-shape the front of the shadow line a bit higher and re-checker to fill.
Shorten the rear point with checkering to make it point more upwards.
A combination of answer 2 and 4.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit complicated but I'll try, leave the front points as is. You need a few more lines at the back and I'd forget that rear point, bring the wood to the same level as the rest of the checkering. Modify your cheek rest, just round it out where the point is shadow line and all. JMHO --- John

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
From yours own album; this look much better:

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John303.:
A bit complicated but I'll try, leave the front points as is. You need a few more lines at the back and I'd forget that rear point, bring the wood to the same level as the rest of the checkering. Modify your cheek rest, just round it out where the point is shadow line and all. JMHO --- John
+1

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry igorrock. That tail on there has been removed. Actually the subject stock is the replacement stock for that one.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the last one, a full length pic would be nice. Don't take this as finding fault just my personal preference. To me a stock without checkering & checkering without a border looks unfinished. Reminds me of too many factory products v custom - as I stated JMHO --- John

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Here you go John.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty wood.
I can see the problem with the points.
I'm different from most. I feel checkering takes away from pretty wood myself. Just another opinion though.

I do like pretty wood.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks George,

The other side of the stock has a bit more figure. For me a stock without checkering looks naked and incomplete. But, to each his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes naked is good,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
IMO wooden rifle stock is like music; without checkering it's like a song without any rhytm.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote