New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wells Mauser -rotary magazine.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A unique Wells custom creation...M98 built from scratch to incorporate Mannlicher rotary magazine system.

“The Mauser’s bolt system is the best there is,” Fred says, meaning it’s the only system worth talking about. “And the Mannlicher’s rotary magazine is the ultimate system for feeding cartridges,” meaning it’s the only enhancement possible to a Mauser action. “So I just took the best of the two worlds.”...
..“You get the controlled round feed of the Mauser with the smooth operation of the Mannlicher’s rotary magazine. The magazine works because it’s set up like the cylinder of a six-shooter, but it’s got to be made for a particular cartridge, you can’t be changing barrels and calibers.”

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got better pictures? bigger?

what's the difference between the mannlicher magazine and the Krag-Jorgensen magazine? Why can the krag only handle a few difference cartridges?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wells and Steve Nelson came up with the idea. Together they called it "Mauserlicher". Steve has made several of them. I believe one is for sale right now on gunsinternational.com in the custom section. Mr Wells is well known for his ability to put concept into reality. He is missed.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dennis, for the kind words; however, nice as it is, the rifle being offered through Guns International is simply a custom Mannlicher Schoenauer, not a "Mauserlicher." The one "Mauserlicher" which I have completed has now been my personal rifle for since 2003 years and has several animals to its credit. Currently I am working on one in left-hand persuasion.

Steve Nelson

Posts: 10 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon, USA | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 1904 Portuguese rifle, the Japanese Type I Carcano and the G98-40.

These rifles have Mannlicher type actions with Mauser magazines.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not long ago, maybe a year I believe, there was an example of the 98 w/rotary mag in the Wells Sport Store. Still a delight to visit, but not the same without Fred.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis and Steve, nice to see you here and welcome.

I talked to Fred once about 15 years ago, we had the same customer who could be a PIA. This customer just had to have one of these rotary magazine actions. BUT in 505 Gibbs, Fred did the math and drew it out first. When he found that the magazine was something like 2 1/2 inches in diameter, he talked the customer out of it. To bad he did not make it.

Yes he is missed.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Yes, Fred mentioned this 505 project to me. I just could not see how to make the rifle look or handle like anything but a cannon.

I do miss being able to call on Fred for advise.

Steve Nelson

Posts: 10 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon, USA | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Together they called it "Mauserlicher".

Should be a Mauser Schoenauer.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer = Mannlicher action with Schoenauer magazine.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bruce. That would be what it is. I have since had exactly one (1) request for another, thank goodness! Very tedious but worth the effort.

Steve Nelson