The Accurate Reloading Forums
Wells Mauser -rotary magazine.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/5731077441

26 November 2010, 02:01
Trax
Wells Mauser -rotary magazine.
A unique Wells custom creation...M98 built from scratch to incorporate Mannlicher rotary magazine system.

“The Mauser’s bolt system is the best there is,” Fred says, meaning it’s the only system worth talking about. “And the Mannlicher’s rotary magazine is the ultimate system for feeding cartridges,” meaning it’s the only enhancement possible to a Mauser action. “So I just took the best of the two worlds.”...
..“You get the controlled round feed of the Mauser with the smooth operation of the Mannlicher’s rotary magazine. The magazine works because it’s set up like the cylinder of a six-shooter, but it’s got to be made for a particular cartridge, you can’t be changing barrels and calibers.”

26 November 2010, 07:13
Dago Red
Anybody got better pictures? bigger?

what's the difference between the mannlicher magazine and the Krag-Jorgensen magazine? Why can the krag only handle a few difference cartridges?

Red
26 November 2010, 19:40
Dennis Earl Smith
Mr. Wells and Steve Nelson came up with the idea. Together they called it "Mauserlicher". Steve has made several of them. I believe one is for sale right now on gunsinternational.com in the custom section. Mr Wells is well known for his ability to put concept into reality. He is missed.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC
27 November 2010, 01:19
M98
Thank you, Dennis, for the kind words; however, nice as it is, the rifle being offered through Guns International is simply a custom Mannlicher Schoenauer, not a "Mauserlicher." The one "Mauserlicher" which I have completed has now been my personal rifle for since 2003 years and has several animals to its credit. Currently I am working on one in left-hand persuasion.

Steve Nelson
27 November 2010, 02:21
SR4759
Don't forget the 1904 Portuguese rifle, the Japanese Type I Carcano and the G98-40.

These rifles have Mannlicher type actions with Mauser magazines.
02 December 2010, 06:30
brevex
Not long ago, maybe a year I believe, there was an example of the 98 w/rotary mag in the Wells Sport Store. Still a delight to visit, but not the same without Fred.
02 December 2010, 21:45
J Wisner
Dennis and Steve, nice to see you here and welcome.

I talked to Fred once about 15 years ago, we had the same customer who could be a PIA. This customer just had to have one of these rotary magazine actions. BUT in 505 Gibbs, Fred did the math and drew it out first. When he found that the magazine was something like 2 1/2 inches in diameter, he talked the customer out of it. To bad he did not make it.

Yes he is missed.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
04 December 2010, 02:50
M98
Jim,
Yes, Fred mentioned this 505 project to me. I just could not see how to make the rifle look or handle like anything but a cannon.

I do miss being able to call on Fred for advise.

Steve Nelson
06 December 2010, 06:17
bcp
quote:
Together they called it "Mauserlicher".

Should be a Mauser Schoenauer.

Mannlicher-Schoenauer = Mannlicher action with Schoenauer magazine.

Bruce
11 December 2010, 09:02
M98
Yes, Bruce. That would be what it is. I have since had exactly one (1) request for another, thank goodness! Very tedious but worth the effort.

Steve Nelson