THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Can you build a .250Imp on a Sako L461?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you build a .250Imp on a Sako L461?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a Sako L461 be modified to safely fire a cartridge with a .473 casehead like a .250Imp or 7mmIHSMA? Can the bolt face be opened enough to handle the case head? Does the action possess sufficient wall thickness and lug strength to do this?

I ask because I found an old Kimber of Oregon M84 in .250 Savage and had never seen one chambered for a cartridge that large. I'm trying to decide if I should trade for the Kimber or build on the Sako.

Best,
Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a word.....nope....

Although the AI(same size bolt as the L461) was available for the PPC boltface, an '06 boltface size would be too much.

Kimber did make a few 250's on the M84 action.....pretty rare. If I recall, the bolt had larger lug profiles than the L461.

Then there's the magazine box......max. overall cartridge length is about 2.28".

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote