THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need recommendation for basic mauser build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation for basic mauser build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a butchered 1940 k98.
Action is smoothest mauser I've ever felt.
Wanting to build a basic sporter from parts in 257 roberts.
Something I can leave in truck, not a work of art.
Any suggestion on smith to:
D &T
New safety
Barrel removal and install new
Remove charging hump
Would consider budget prethreaded/ short chambered barrel
Handle already modified
Will drop in hogue for now or a take off sporterized stock if I can find one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given those requirements don't require a high end smith meaning no engraving or custom stock work, I would recommend Mark Skaggs. He has done some very fine work for me. He can supply a new Douglas barrel for a good price as well.

Mark Skaggs

If you want the best, then I can also highly recommend Jim Kobe. Jim does the highest level work at a fair price.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kobe would be my choice. Have several and he will get (2) more (maybe 3) this year.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read keywords in the OP like “butchered”, “basic sporter”, “can leave in truck, not a work of art” and “budget” I don’t even think gunsmith, let alone a top builder. You will very quickly spend way more on ‘smithing services than the end product would be worth.

I cringe as I type this, (because I dislike the advice when I hear others give it to someone wanting to take on a new project) but you’d be better off dollar-wise looking for a new or used rifle that meets your needs.

Having said that, the first thing that comes to my mind is DIY. All dependent on your level of ability and patience of course. PM me if you would like some additional inputs. I’ve done a few of these projects and might even be talked into loaning a few items to help you out…

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's WalMarts' price on a Rem. 700,,,,,,, $380??

Posts: 689 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You have a 98k, not a k98.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
He actually has a K98k. Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote