Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70 Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Any thoughts on upgrading the bottom metal on a Winchester Pre 64 Action? Is it worth it?? Reliability?? Let’s hear it.

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it a few times. Value is highly questionable, but so is a lot that goes into individualizing a custom gun.

Posts: 727 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Is it worth it? Is any custom rifle worth the money they cost?
Definitely not, considering functionality only.
But custom rifles are not about that; they are literally art. You can get perfect reliability and accuracy from a Walmart Savage, these days.

Posts: 17127 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's worth it. One piece bottom metal will not improve reliability, but it will improve the overall appearance of the rifle. And, since there is no middle screw hole, the stock is left with a solid piece of walnut behind the magazine box. Pre-'64 M70s with the middle screw frequently break in this area, the web of the stock.

There are all sorts of different grades of custom rifles. Just remember, if it's worth doing right, it's worth doing to excess!

Cheers,

Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just remember, if it's worth doing right, it's worth doing to excess!

Hahaha that a great line Roger. Let's call it the custom gunmaker's creed!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, Blackburn M-70 bottom mettal always came with provision for the center screw.

I made the proviskion on my bottom meetal, if for nothing else, to use a wood screw to keep the thin frame rigid

Of course, Sunny Hills has an integral box...no reason for the center screw

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blackburn mod 70 BM without a center screw but uses factory mag well needing shortened to fit and function, no loss of capacity.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh!.... Swift/Blackburn or original?...looking in my "bone yard" of some of my bottom metal...I wasn't consistent! Some with/others without...mostly the pot belly is "without"

I even have a staniless unit for post 64. (Thought there would be a demand...lost that bet) and I made it with center screw.

Go figure

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Original, I'll post a picture probably tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece! PM sent ….

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally, Ted machined a cavilty in the rail to accopmodate the magazine box...You had to trim only about 1/16" off the bottom.

This really locked the assembly in place, but was costly (and admittedly not really necessary)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Is it worth it you ask?

1. Are you intent on selling it at a profit after adding only the straddle plate/trigger release bottom metal to an otherwise factory configuration? Might break even at best.
2. Are you going to keep the rifle after adding only the bottom metal to a factory rifle? Then you will be glad you did.
3. Are you going to replace the factory stock with one with fancy grained wood that has a high quality rubbed finish and cut-checkering, etc.? Then a straddle floor plate steel bottom with the release in the trigger guard is a must.

Just one man's opinion.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally, Ted machined a cavilty in the rail to accopmodate the magazine box...You had to trim only about 1/16" off the bottom.

This really locked the assembly in place, but was costly (and admittedly not really necessary)

I got tired of that setup, no pocket for the magazine box, so we wrote a program to cut it in on the CNC. Much better this way.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True and preferable. But if the mag well in the stock is fit appropriately not necessary as DW states.
To the OP, yes, all worth it if going to the expense of building a true custom rifle, an heirloom to be passed to the next generation and appreciated by all. If worried about resale or other silly notions then go buy an off the shelf rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The Parkwest/Dakota Arms standard magnum bottom metal fits a Pre64 action to a T. I've used this bottom metal for several builds in the straddle floor plate configuration.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote