THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Albright Trap Door Buttplate............
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Albright Trap Door Buttplate............
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a custom rifle and would like to incorporate a trapdoor buttplate, looking for an Albright Trapdoor buttplate or other. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're nice, but yowsa $390.00!

Posts: 390 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and Duane is suppose to work for free.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "Wiz" should keep looking for an Albright

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albrights ain't cheap and are getting hard to find..
I guess the "Wiz" can buy a CNC mill, tool it up, and move it into his garage for about $45,000 and start spitting them out for $69.99 ea.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
"I am building" not "I am ordering"

might make a difference

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

might make a difference

I couldn't agree more. Not trying to bait the pros here, but there is a big difference between a budget conscious working class hobbiest doing his own work and a wealthy "patron of the arts" dropping 5 figures on a full blown bespoke commission.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks as though the help has been delivered, yet unwanted. Sheesh.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

might make a difference

I couldn't agree more. Not trying to bait the pros here, but there is a big difference between a budget conscious working class hobbiest doing his own work and a wealthy "patron of the arts" dropping 5 figures on a full blown bespoke commission.

Don't think I will ever have close to the 5 figure custom. He can cut a 1018 blank and hand work it, but doing the trap door may be a learning experience. I was lucky to find my Albright in a box with some old gun stuff that I bought.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
He can cut a 1018 blank and hand work it, but doing the trap door may be a learning experience.

That would be one way to go, a lot of work for sure. Personally, (as a budget conscious working class hobbiest...) if you are the DIY type I would consider reworking a Springfield or Enfield milsurp. I have reshaped a Mauser steel buttplate to a very pleasing shape, my only complaint was the inconsistent thickness of the metal along the edge. I have a few milsurps with the smaller round hole that I plan to eventually reprofile as well. Doesn't give you all the room of a longer oval door, but you'll always have a spot for that post shot cigar!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b: Doesn't give you all the room of a longer oval door, but you'll always have a spot for that post shot cigar!
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
So, how much will the Albright save you over of say, a DW unit? Will your completed custom still have the same value after it's completed using the cheaper buttplate assembly? The difference you may have saved will most likely be reflected by a lesser value in the end. So, you will have gained nothing. Tired of looking yet? Please show us your progress.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...ght_Trap_Door_Buttpl

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks as though the help has been delivered, yet unwanted. Sheesh.

Not the first time with him. Last time when he didn't get what he wanted, he got snippy (to say the least) and Jeffe had to ask him if the GFY he posted meant Good For You. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought you guys were all being just a bit harsh with the OP, but then I went back and read some of his other stuff...

He reaps what he sows.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The lowest cost solution I can think of would be to install an M16A2 buttplate with trap door. Or maybe an A1.

That would definitely be a custom.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say, If you cant find a trap butt plate, a pachmyer pad will do fine. IMHO, save the money for things that will count in the end. Only someone that makes money of of making such items will benefit. IMO the things that hurt the sale of customs is the configuration of the butt plate. A widdows peak steel or rubber pad means more wood need be cut off to fit another pad IF necessary

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
The lowest cost solution I can think of would be to install an M16A2 buttplate with trap door. Or maybe an A1.

That would definitely be a custom.

rotflmo I love it!

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lotta time on your hands? get two of those cast butt plates from Brownells.. The shape is actually pretty good. Now you can make a trap door and contours will match up.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wiz - please check your PM's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine had a $18.95 tag on it. It came from a truckload of reloading parts several years ago.
Picture of mine on my Hyper Single 257 Roberts by Jim Kobe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me those screws should have been aligned.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why, seems as the wood ages it takes a little twist to tighten it up. It was aligned when I received it from you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Really nice Butch.

How does the mechanism work that keeps the trapdoor shut?

Put your fingernail under the lip or a big screw driver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I wanted to know what the mechanism is - how the spring works, etc.

Thanks!

It evidently has a hidden leaf type spring in the hinge. You can not see it without pulling the buttplate from the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Front and back of Albright, In each of these pics note the flat springs with the screw hole in them. The hinge pic floats attached to neither the plate nor the trap.

One open one shut

Both open

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel makes a nice one. You can find it in their online catalog. I have one that I bought for my drilling's 22 insert. But the insert won't fit through the trap. I don't know what they cost now. I paid over $250 a few years ago.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote