New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual Custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had this in my safe for years, and thought I'd take it out and have a look. It's a custom Remington 760 pump rifle in 30-06. It is extensively engraved by Japanese engraver T. Kunitomo. I'm not sure who would put this much money into a 760 Remington...maybe a wealthy PA hunter. Perhaps it's an F Grade from the Custom Shop?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
760s are nice rifle an d have a nice flat receiver for engraving.

Could be a F grade has nicer wood than a normal 760.

My first year production 760 is all wore and beat but still shoots good and has no trouble killing things.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big pump rifle fan but that's about as cool as they come. I'm pretty sure it would be a fine killer in the right hands.
Many guys have custom rifles that they don't shoot so why not a pump?
It certainly qualified as unusual on this forum!
Very nice.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
How did you ever come by that gun? Seems like there should be a story to go with that rifle.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

Initially it doesn't look like a rifle anybody would hunt with but the wear on it shows it was at least shot quite a bit. What caliber is it?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, it's a 30-06. Pennsylvania hunters are really the reason the 760 (and later 7600) is still being produced. They can't use semi-auto rifles, but do a lot of drive hunting for Whitetails. I imagine it was made for a well-heeled PA hunter to show off at deer camp :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Once upon a time I had a fancied up Remington Model 8 and a 14, both in 35Rem. I wish I had taken pictures before I traded them off.

Thanks for sharing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes different looking custom rifle , lots of work done on it .
But to me looks like someone used a fine blade hacksaw to checker it. shocker

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first hunting rifle, 50+ years ago, was a 760. I was happy to get it, and happier to get rid of it.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's really nice. Class in fact. Real class.

But why oh why spoil it with that awful 'scope mount rail?

This warrants a set of sculpted mounts the more discreet the better.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Piece of junk, embarrasing all those Blasers. You need to sell it to me to upgrade your gun safe. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual, it is available :-)

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I just rebarreled one of my 7600s to 338/06. One of my favorite cartridges.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mark, it's a 30-06. Pennsylvania hunters are really the reason the 760 (and later 7600) is still being produced. They can't use semi-auto rifles, but do a lot of drive hunting for Whitetails. I imagine it was made for a well-heeled PA hunter to show off at deer camp :-)

Favorite rifle of the Benoit Family, deer hunters of note from Vermont

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
As usual, it is available :-)
Normally I pay no more than 70% of the new retail price for a second hand rifle. But that's got some nice wood so I'll give you 85% of what a new Remington pump goes for, okay? Big Grin

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well then, an F Grade is about $7,500, SO 85% = $6,375. I'll PM my address :-)

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Do you have a factory letter saying it is an F-Grade? I see the new ones going for more like $975.
I'm not sure I want a Remington pump made in Japan, anyway. Big Grin

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just kidding!!!! Actually, I bought it 10-12 years ago for $1,850 because it was unusual and looked like it had a lot of work put into it. I someone wanted it, I'd do $1,575 shipped. I don't think I'll ever hunt with it.

Engraved by a Japanese artist, made in the USA!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know Bibs I brought my beat up used hardly any finish left on it 760 for 180.00 5 years ago. stir

Most likely kills things just as well Wink

I don't buy very many pretty guns but sense yours has most of the finish but you can't document who engraved it I well give you twice what I paid for my old working 760 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And probably pay in Zimbabwe dollars :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of comedians on this thread.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And probably pay in Zimbabwe dollars :-)

I do have some Zim dollars a member sent me years ago I think a 100,000 or so,

If you want I'll trade them for this rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a quarter instead, but I think I'll need change :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll send you a quarter instead, but I think I'll need change :-)

Need at least 49 cents to pay for the postage. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
But Cal told me that shooting a Remington 760 will cause the rifling to protrude from the muzzle. Isn't that what you said, Cal? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friend from law school was from Pennsylvania and both he and his brother hunted deer with this model Remington pump. My buddy never married, never had kids, saved his money and retired some years ago. He would love this rifle.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a commission in it for you :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago Layne Simpson in RIFLE Magazine tested 10 Remington 700's and 10 Remington pumps, all in 30/06. Several different loads were fired.
At the end of the tests the Remington Pump Rifles were more accurate than the 700 bolt rifles... Eeker shocker sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On it's way to Mr Tuppen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember years and years ago reading in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream the story of the Benoit family, and how they hunted big bucks in the big woods by slowly tracking them all day long. And if I recall correctly their rifle of choice was the Reminngton 760 in 30-06 or .308 for its fast handling and easy carrying because of the short barrel (carbine model).

The engraved one shown here is a beauty. About the only thing I don't like about them is their pot metal trigger guard.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In 2007 I met a group of Washington Hunters in Moose camp in BC. The patriarch was 94 years old - WW2 veteran.

He had a Winchester Mod 70 in 264 Win Mag which was engraved with similar scrolls. The work was done by a Japanese POW!

The engraving on that rifle was from muzzle to tang - not as intricate but still very elegant and of similar scroll type.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope we're all still hunting when we're 94 years old!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope we're all still hunting when we're 94 years old!

I'm reasonably confident you'll still be hunting in two years time Beibs old

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The salvation of the Rem 760 is they are so damned accurate and will compete with bolt actions..A little known fact, and the accuracy was the reason the CIA purchased them for assisnation rifles, which in itself is an amazement in that they are not allowed to assinate, go figure, that's right up their with $500 toilet lids, your gov. at its best...

Great gun the 760, my only gripe on them is they rattle like a bb in box car..I had one in 35 Whelen that shot one inch with most any load. Wish I still had it..Always thought the model was destined to fame and fortune in a 9.3x62 but guess I'm the only one that was of that opine!! Roll Eyes

Email me at rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com and quote me a price on this one, I'm somewhat interested.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote