New
Find
Notify
Tools

1936 Mexican Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do custom builders detail their stocks for the gas vent holes (oblong on left side and small hole on right)? The military stock has small cuts in these areas and does not look pleasing. Any body got an example/picture how they handled this. Thanks. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
This 24HR Campfire post has some pics of a restocked 1936.

Pictures

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would not build the stock to fit the holes. In the highly unlikely event of a catastrophic case failure, slight blockage of the vent holes will be the least of your worries.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 1936 7x57 Custom the hole clears the stock line without any necessity of relieving the wood. Looks nice.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards keeping the vent holes just above the stock line.

Jerry...can you post a couple pictures of your rifle.

Thanks, Ron

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Or tig the holes for a much better appearance. Or trade your 1936 for a 1910 series.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Or tig the holes for a much better appearance. Or trade your 1936 for a 1910 series.

Yup.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
On my 1936 7x57 Custom the hole clears the stock line without any necessity of relieving the wood. Looks nice.

Jerry Liles

What I did when making a stock for my 36 Mexican action rifle. Nothing odd looking to stock to me with wood line just to vent holes.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son has latched onto the Mauser. If I can get visitation rights to see it I'll get a picture. He does have good taste in firearms.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
OP....I can't speak for custom builders, But, I like a straight wood line at the holes as well. So, for my 1936, I shaved the stock down equally on both sides until the small hole cleared and left the oval partially buried. FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, the addition of the small hole on the right side that continues through the extractor tip and bolt to the bolt face is some of what makes it a '36. I (for one) prefer to keep them. But, to each his own. Have fun building yours and I hope it turns out just the way you want it.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Extractor tip hole visible through small hole.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Appears as such. One can only imagine the cartridge failure rate nof the era that would prompt such things as no less than 2 gas escape holes and that re-cocking knob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

my wife's.

it also has a vent hole.

It is in 6.5X55 and has a Kahles 2.5X10 on it.

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote