New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dating a Goens Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up this 6.5x55 Goens rifle. Is there any way to determine when it was built?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead, PM sent.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Really like that rifle. I've never seen a mannlicher stock done by Goen before. Classy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know zip about Goens but that is a beauty.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Boxhead, PM sent.

Got it. Thanks.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Why date it
It looks like marrying material to me

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Why date it

My sentiments, exactly!!!!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
His 8th stock/gun of 1972 would be my guess

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why date it

Good one !

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale Goens, New Mexico gun maker, was the #1 stock maker in the 50s and 60s as I recall and maybe into the 70s, he was compared to Jerry fisher imo and that's no light praise...His signature was the overly thick combs that minimized recoil to the cheek and it worked. .

I owned two Goens rifles back in the day, loved them both..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why date it

Curiosity?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the latter printing of Kennedys checkering book have a section by Goens and I believe one of the rifles is full stocked with a mid forend schanable like this one. I'll try to remember to check it tonight.

Very nice rifle by one of the masters.

John

Posts: 546 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody (his family) retained and/or donated his production records. A very polite inquiry might point you in the right direction.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goens kept a book in which he had minimal details on the rifles he built. They were numbered sequentially, but unfortunately he rarely entered dates. The owner of the original book thinks the subject gun was made about 1972-73. I have seen this particular entry and about all it contains is 6.5x55, mannlicher stock, and the name of the person who commissioned the rifle.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
I think that the latter printing of Kennedys checkering book have a section by Goens and I believe one of the rifles is full stocked with a mid forend schanable like this one. I'll try to remember to check it tonight.

Very nice rifle by one of the masters.

John

Yes just check in my Monte Kennedy book and there is a write up on Goens with a full stocked with a forend schanle , but the rifle was built around a new Model 400 FN Mauser action in factory 7mm . Great write up .

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Goens kept a book in which he had minimal details on the rifles he built. They were numbered sequentially, but unfortunately he rarely entered dates. The owner of the original book thinks the subject gun was made about 1972-73. I have seen this particular entry and about all it contains is 6.5x55, mannlicher stock, and the name of the person who commissioned the rifle.

Pretty good evidence! What was the closest dated entry on either side of that entry?

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack O' Connor really did the world of custom guns a boost that's felt to this day. He "discovered" Al Biesen, Jerry Fisher, Dale Goens. et al and wropte up some very flattering and informative stuff about the custom gunmaker.

Upon Jack's retirement, Outdoor Life "suits" allowed as how there was no revenue generated in such writing and we saw focus on Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc...along with a big front page cover of their products.
"Guns " magazine gave it a go....and fizzled.

PLeasing to see Steve Hughes' articles taking up that slack in Sports Afield.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Mr. O'Connor retired from Outdoor Life I seem to remember a guy by the name of Carmichael taking his place. And I seem to remember that Mr. Carmichael wrote about a guy named Wiebe every once in awhile, another guy named Miller, another guy named Allen, another guy named Burgess, and maybe a few more.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
After Mr. O'Connor retired from Outdoor Life I seem to remember a guy by the name of Carmichael taking his place. And I seem to remember that Mr. Carmichael wrote about a guy named Wiebe every once in awhile, another guy named Miller, another guy named Allen, another guy named Burgess, and maybe a few more.

Jim Carmichael was a great writer sometimes with a very dry sense of humor , part time decent stock maker , national bench rest record holder and a world wide big-same game hunter . Truly wonderful gentleman .
Still have that Outdoor Life magazine with his write up on Wiebe , Goens and Allen .

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:

Jim Carmichael was a great writer sometimes with a very dry sense of humor , part time decent stock maker , national bench rest record holder and a world wide big-same game hunter . Truly wonderful gentleman .
Still have that Outdoor Life magazine with his write up on Wiebe , Goens and Allen .

And a fine Highpower Rifle Competitor. I recall one of my first trips to Camp Perry in the late 80's seeing him down in the pits pulling targets.

John

Posts: 546 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carmichael had an article in Outdoor Life's adventure issue in about 1990, "The Day My Luck Ran Out". Hunting Cape Buffalo, had a glancing shot on a bull where the hide/ribs deflected the bullet. Spent the rest of the day tracking down the herd, finding the same bull, and shooting it again. Read that when I was about 10-12 and was inspired to hunt buffalo someday. Just got my first buff last summer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack and Eleanor stopped by for a visit when I was in Pleasant Hill CA

Jack was a story reller and my wife was just mezmerized lisening to this fine man, anecdote one ater another. ....Eleanor didn't say much...I suspect that was her normal role when Jack was about.

My late wife and I thought highly of Jim Carmichel...again a real gentlemen, fine sense of humor, and an encylyopedia of knowledge.

Just prior to writing the two part aricle(s) about Churchill. Winters, Goudy and I, he spent the day with Goudy, Blackburn Swartley and I. Ended up buying us all a very nice dinner. Truly a treasured memory.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Jack was at Sul Ross University in Alpine, Texas perhaps...At any way he hunted on our leased cattle ranch in the Big end several times, I was about 10 to 12 years old..He asked dad if I could be his guide as opposed to one of the wets (illegals)..Dad say Why?? Jack said I notice that kid knows every buck on this ranch by name and location!! Dad said, come to think of he prpbably does, he is a hunter, thats all he cares about..We shot a record Coues and a 29" Mule deer by golly, Big foot and honker! From that day on he was my hero and sort of a mentor. He had a Goens rifle in 270 and an 06 in ??? maybe a Fisher, both beautiful guns..used but not abused.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Ray, he might have come back to hunt, but he left Sul Ross in 1931. When you met him must have been somewhat later. I know you are old, but not that old.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Jack and Eleanor stopped by for a visit when I was in Pleasant Hill CA

Jack was a story reller and my wife was just mezmerized lisening to this fine man, anecdote one ater another. ....Eleanor didn't say much...I suspect that was her normal role when Jack was about.

My late wife and I thought highly of Jim Carmichel...again a real gentlemen, fine sense of humor, and an encylyopedia of knowledge.

Just prior to writing the two part aricle(s) about Churchill. Winters, Goudy and I, he spent the day with Goudy, Blackburn Swartley and I. Ended up buying us all a very nice dinner. Truly a treasured memory.

Dwane, I was was born and spent the first 35 years of my life in nearby Pittsburg... Left California in 1995.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I must be the only one who read "dating a rifle" and thought about taking my rifle out to dinner and a movie...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
What a privilege to be able to come here and read the reminiscing of kindred folks.

Especially when that reminiscing has to do with people I have mostly only read about (although I did get to meet Mr Carmichael and he was as described above).

Some of you still here are also legendary and I suspect gun folks will be talking about some of you, decades from now.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a kid I wrote to both JOC and Carmichael.

Both wrote very nice informative replies.

Damn I wish I still had those letters.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Oh, and that rifle in the OP is absolutely wonderful!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote