THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Finished my AR project African rifle.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my AR project African rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some months ago a fine gentleman posted on the AR classifeid a Brno mod. 21 project gun that he didn't have time to work on..It was a round top original barrel action in 7x57, little to no blue but good carbine 20" barrel, stock was busted in 5 or 6 places and no longer repairable, it had an extra original 8x57 carbine barrel with original hardware that was shot out and bore was badly rusted..I jumped on it minutes after he posted I think..

Got it in the mail exactly as described..Glued the stock back together and had a pattern made. Sent the 8x57 to High Plains for a rebore to 9.3x62. Using the pattern stock I copied the original stock but added some detail work like shadow line cheek piece, framed the bolt release, added a dodad on the forend tip that shows from the bottom only, replaced the doube triggers but maintained the full shotgun trigger guard and its extension to the grip cap, used a Talley Grip cap and Silvers pad..The wood selected was a fantastic piece of Russian walnut. I wanted a switch barrel, but never trusted the takedowns that seperated the forend, so went with screw on barrels, a wood barrel block, and a homemade small barrel wrench. I can change the barrels with a shop vice or probably a pipe wrench for that matter. Takes about 20 minutes..the barrels go on hand tight with one hammer tap..the gun is finished and I been testing it for several weeks....Both barrels fit the inletting perfectly (kudos to Brno)and both shoot to the same POI, WAIT, it gets better and akin to the second coming..changing barrels and using the same settings the 3X Leupold and Talley peep, the gun shoots to the same POI with most loads, so all I have to do is change barrels, not resighting with several loads in both calibers.. ..Never happen again in my lifetime and how can you beat a 7x57, 9.3x62 combination for a one gun African safari.

A beautifull gun, I'll keep this one, Lord I hope I will not have a weak moment. Wish I could post pictures but too old and don't want to try! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
it needs to be seen! sounds like quite the rifle!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Come on Ray, we need to see it! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
If you can email it Ray one of us will post it for you. My email in PM

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A beautifull gun, I'll keep this one, Lord I hope I will not have a weak moment.Smiler

Having seen this same scenario several times, I can promise this rifle will be for sale before too long.....

Ray is a rifle whore of the highest magnitude.

We would like to see pics....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ray

Just send me the rifle . I promise I'll send you back awesome pictures.

Rich

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Ray's rifle

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely, just great.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Von Gruff posting pictures..

I have been asked why I didn't cut another forearm and have interrupted thread for faster switching between calibers..One reason is I'm not sure I have that much talent. The main reason however is I wouldn't switch barrels in camp or while hunting as I would choose my caliber prior to the hunt itself..Also over the years I have seen switch barrel guns develope looseness and accuracy and most were not very accurate to start with and return to zero wasn't very good. Just my limited experience on the subject and certainly argueable I suppose. But, the one thing I am fairly sure of is I have never had the right barrel on the gun at the right time in a hunting situation! Smiler, again limited experience but I think thats a valid statement..With this gun my goal was to have two seperate guns for one stock, and it turned out to be two seperate guns for one stock, one scope and one peep..I like that miracle, it's the best accident I ever had.

Now I will be on the lookout for other used Brno mod 21 or 22 barrels regardless of condition to add to this gun. Hopefully that won't be too much of a challange. Even the rear sight sleeve, the swivel and the sleeved front sight would be acceptable and turn a Douglas barrel or whatever to fit and bingo a 250-3000, 30-06, 375x62 or whatever works in the action as it is..Fun project.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
JBrown: Having seen this same scenario several times, I can promise this rifle will be for sale before too long

www.gunsinternational.com, #100294368, $12.5K

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Ray, are you really selling this rifle? I'm shocked!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a price on it that I figure I can't refuse! Hopefully it won't sell, as I doubt that I could ever build another that would shoot both barrels the same and with the same sights without having to change them..but, I build rifles with the money from sales of other rifles so that I don't have to dip into the house money etc. It's a hobby and I enjoy building, so I sell one to build another, this may be the exception. Lets hope so. sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
JBrown: Having seen this same scenario several times, I can promise this rifle will be for sale before too long

www.gunsinternational.com, #100294368, $12.5K

I will take the Heilmann rifle and pocket the rest coffee

http://www.hallowellco.com/hei...%20corpe%209mm62.htm

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle Ray.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote