New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on G33/40 actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I could not decide whether to post this here or in gunsmithing? Seems pertinent in both.

At the last gun show I had the opportunity to purchase a sporterized G33/40 rifle. The barrel was original, though re-worked, very nice, shiny, no pitting at all. The stock was the military stock, though re-worked. The action (what I would be after) was OK. It had been regrettably drilled and tapped, the rear bridge ground, and polished. The polish job was decent; fortunately the letters were not destroyed. As I understand it, it had what seemed to be the “correct” bolt.

I do know there tends to be a lot of forgeries about with 33/40’s. The gentleman was older, seemed honest, and wanted $500 for the rifle. Should the rifle be there in October or November, I am tempted, though hesitant, to purchase it.

What are 33/40 actions going for? Especially in the condition described? I know not having pictures it is difficult to ascertain value, but let me know what you think.

thanks

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have bought it. Those actions go for more than that, or at least they used to. CNC machinery has kind of killed some of the older niche stuff. The bolt knob would bew hollow and radiused a bit on the hole.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save your money and buy a regular 98. I can't see where several hundred dollars in cost difference is worth the 8 or so ounces of weight reduction. It's cheaper to have the lightening cuts added or curl 25 lbs a couple of times a week.

Posts: 3688 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
It's cheaper to have the lightening cuts added or curl 25 lbs a couple of times a week.

Any idea what some charge to put the lightening cuts into an action? This is actually the reason I was buying one. So I could take measurments and draw up what I needed to mill and grind to copy the 33/40 action and bolt.

I like lightweight rifles... what can I say!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
I like lightweight rifles... what can I say!

Then get NULA rifle. Wink

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 33/40 was made for specialized german mountain troops. small ring action very well made. even in the days where mausers were a dime a dozen 33/40's were rare. i don't believe that you can make a regular 98 into one. it was the action of choice years back to make lightweight rifles out of and thus originals are now really scarce and expensive. some time ago there was an article in a gun digest about lightweight rifles and 33/40's. not sure exactly how long ago but i think it was in the 70's

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe any std-length 98 with the small barrel thread can become a G33/40 with enough machining.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote