New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darwin Hensley 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Someone needs to post these, and then buy it before I do something that results in a divorce.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100155730

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If i can do it any worse for you, we have a 6 gun limit on hunting guns over here and my gun wardrobe is overfilled to the point i must sell down to 5 guns before i can get another license for a new rifle .

Well i think i must get a gunmaker to dress up the m98 i have to look like that one afterwards .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pictures don't come out very large on the website. I googled Robert, Bain and the pictures on that website are larger. It looks to me to be a G33/40 action that has been cleaned up and the SN# restamped or perhaps another small ring that has had the G33/40 lightening treatment. Very cool rifle regardless. The checkering is outstanding.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Matt and others, if you click on the pictures on the website, they will pop up about 30% screen size.

Beautiful gun BTW, the Hensleys do/did an awesome job.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess that's Darwin's mid-80's work. Looks quite conventional compared to his later work but hints as to where he was headed are there, such as the detailing under the bolt release.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, wonder who did the metalwork?

quote:
Originally posted by PerH:
If i can do it any worse for you, we have a 6 gun limit on hunting guns over here and my gun wardrobe is overfilled to the point i must sell down to 5 guns before i can get another license for a new rifle .

You mean your wife won't let you have more than 6 guns?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
... or perhaps another small ring that has had the G33/40 lightening treatment...

I heard this said before by others, please tell what this "other" small ring action might be.
I remain unaware of any such thing.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Erfurt or danzig 1917. They are small ring large thread actions. There may be more, but these are the ones that I know of. I have a barreled action squirrled away. I could be wrong, but I think that there is a polish small ring 98 as well. WZ29 perhaps? I once saw a very nice 270WCF built by Gene Simillion on an Erfurt action.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

On the side view of the action left side there is a square tab extending up at the level of the rear of the bolt stop box. Any idea what that is?

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Root of the raised bolt handle.
I did notice that Darwin crafted a slight raised lip under the action cutout bevel. In later guns this lip would become more pronounced.

This one appears to be crafted in a piece of Morrocan Walnut that was available back then. I had beautiful piece of it - the smell when working was very exotic, intoxicating even to a wood nut.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Erfurt or danzig 1917. They are small ring large thread actions. There may be more, but these are the ones that I know of.... I think that there is a polish small ring 98 as well. WZ29 perhaps?

One could grind & machine any one of a broad variety of common LR-large thread M98 to outwardly resemble a VZ33 or G33/40.
To be more specific,.. were there any other small thread std.length M98 produced that one could machine to clone a VZ33 or G33/40?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 98/09 Peruvian was an intermediate length action with Large Ring and Small Thread.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote