New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT London trip advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After more than two weeks and no replies to this question posted in the Misc section, and with the responses to Prewar's questions about Portland, I thought I might try here.

Does anyone have advice about gunmaking places to visit in London? I know there are lots of older high end gun makers, but I have no idea if they allow "off the street" visitors with no intention of ordering a "bespoke" item.

Any ideas or comments would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Roger

PS I will be in East Kensington.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are still in the wrong forum Roger. See:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/8471067741

for some names. These are gunmakers not necessarily custom gun makers (although they can do that as well). Send Ghubert a PM (that is his AR handle, he lives in London and is an all round very good guy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to Purdey (http://www.purdey.com) you should stop by William Evans (http://www.williamevans.com/). If you like middle eastern food try Al Hamra (31-33 Shepherd Market, London, W1J 7PT 020 7493 1954), not too far from William Evans.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Peter and Jim.

That was a very helpful discussion in the double gun section. I have not been to London, but my wife tells me we will be staying near Hyde park, so St James street should be an easy walk. At the least, I will pick up some trinkets for the hunting buddies.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, the subway system is extremely good, so don't be limited to walking distances.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One very interesting tour (and there are many in London) is the Churchill War Museum (http://cwr.iwm.org.uk/) Of course The Tower Bridge and Westminster Abby are also great. Peter is correct, the subway (Tube in London) is very easy to use and cheap compared to a cab. The Hyde Park area is quite central to many sites and places to eat. Get out of the hotel for meals if possible. Enjoy London. I have many times over the years and always find something new to explore.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Dall85 I forgot about the museums. The Imperial War Museum is a MUST if you are interested. That IS a tube ride. While in the Abbey look for the tombs of Isaac Newton, Robert Stephenson, David Livingstone, Charles Darwin, Henry Purcell, Vaughan Williams. I haven't mentioned the Kings and Queens, but there also is the Tomb of the Unknown:
Beneath this stone rests the body
of a British warrior
unknown by name or rank
brought from France to lie among
the most illustrious of the land
and buried here on Armistice Day
11 Nov: 1920,
Also, on the Embankment look for the statue of Queen Boadicea (Boodica).
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you visited William Evens you will also ne next to St James Palace and can see the soldiers from the Guards on sentry duty.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, looks like I will be busy. Maybe I should extend a month? (I wish).

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a list of must sees in London and my favorites. There is a contact listed for H&H and William Evans as well as the addresses for each place. I've been to London a few times and love visiting the gunrooms. Caution: You may develop a London gun habit! Have fun!!!!

Sincerely,
Jack

LONDON GUNROOMS

Patrick Murphy
Holland & Holland
33 Bruton Street
LONDON
W1J 6HH
Tel: +44 (0)207 4994411
Alistair (I think he is still there)
William Evans Ltd (Gunroom in basement)
67A St. James's Street
London
SW1A 1PH
t: +44 (0)20 7493 0415

(Not a London gunroom but you can visit the Beretta Store on St James – one block north of William Evans on the opposite side of the street.)

James Purdey & Sons Ltd
Audley House
57 - 58 South Audley Street
London W1K 2ED
Tel: +44 (0)20 7499 1801

Boss & Co Ltd
Gun & Riflemakers
13 Dover Street
London W1X 3PH
Tel: (020) 7493 1127

Depending on where you are staying take the Underground to the Bond Street or Green Park station. The Green Park station will put you in the middle of all these shops. You can walk to any of them in 5-10 minutes.

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry but the current owner of BOSS closed down the showroom some 02 years ago in Dover Street and you have to make an appointment to visit their workshop in Kew.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same trip this summer. Holland and Holland was ok but Purdy was exceptional. I asked if they had other guns and they showed me guns from their safe which I think was in the basement. Enjoy London and let the gns be part of the experience.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW - I looked for Boss and one of the doormen at another upscale shop said it was closed.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...lots of interesting places to visit on/around st. james's street...such as the beretta gallery, james lock hatters, john lobb bootmakers, jermyn street, etc...probably best to get a london travel book to maximize your experience...

...boss used to have a mayfair showroom on mount street, but it closed in 2008...you could also visit william & sons (of asprey fame) on mount street...

...and outside of london you could visit some of the gun clubs and shooting fields...