THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Please help with rifle build, opinions wanted.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help with rifle build, opinions wanted.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
Original thread with pics.

I got this barrel and have been in the process of restoring it. I got it drawn down to a point where the pitting and wrench marks are gone. I have to do some more sanding and polishing, but overall I'm pleased with my progress.

Here's some pics:

So I need to select an action for this barrel. I have a 1938 K98 action with all matching numbers. It is a wonderfully smooth action, which functions flawlessly. My only concern is that it may be too new for the barrel, and would look out of place. Pics:

I also have another k98 that I could surface grind and polish, basically no markings would be left except the serial number.

OR... does this barrel deserve an oberndorf action from early 1900's.

Also this stock or something else???

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Being that it is going to be in a non original chambering I don't think I would get too anal about the action matching the barrel vintage-wise.

That action is a beauty. I saw use it with this barrel.

As to the stock: I don't like that wood, but the profile is OK.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Run with what you got! Nice stuff, all of it!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I would look for a pre-war Oberndorf-marked South American contract rifle (1935 Brazilian or Chilean) or even better a 1933-1934 "post office" rifle. Remove the crests if you use a Brazilian or Chilean, stipple the ring above the SN & proofs. JMHO, your action would work too. Good job on cleaning up the flats on that barrel.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it's only original once and that time has passed. I took "artistic license" with mine and just built the rifle I wanted, action, stock etc.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote