Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good job. Can't wait to see the finished gun

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle.

Now here is where I show my ignorance. Is the 9.3x62mm Mauser cartridge comparable to a 9.3-06 performance wise? Just trying to get educated. These European cartridges are fascinating to me.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

they are very close. The X62mm case is one millimeter shorter, and is .003" larger diameter in the base. Reloaders have used the '06 in a pinch, but the fired case leaves a bulge on one side that weakens the brass. I loaded an '06 case and shot it in my CZ carbine one time to see; and after the fourth shot and FL sizing it blew out the side just ahead of the web.

Definitely NOT recommended...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
It didn't look like scrimping on cases was a good idea. Kind of the same situation as with the 7.7 Jap. Can it be done, yes but not well.

Thanks

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you change the safety, in some pictures it is on the left and others it is on the right side of the action?? Just curious, Great Build!1

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The original low swing safety snapped in half when I accidentally dropped the bolt on a soft floor mat. IMHO, that should have not broken it. Perhaps it was from the color case hardening on the bolt shroud and safety, not sure. Needless to say, probably a blessing in disguise versus a failure in the field! So I put a new Timney on. I prefer the right side anyway. Here's a link to a really nice safety I have on a FN commercial action that I'm working on. Very heavy duty and nice checkering. https://lh3.googleusercontent...._20151206_181549.jpg

As for the stock, I used the Husqvarna setup WRT the relation of the location of the comb peak, but modified everything else WRT the grip. Everything else on the butt was per the original stock except for the LOP, which I increased when I made it a pattern stock. The has cast off and toe-out as well. Assume those were factory or someone steamed the stock. It feels good.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great project...PM me your address and I will send you 20 RWS once fired brass....to get you started.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Very pretty!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Great project...PM me your address and I will send you 20 RWS once fired brass....to get you started.

Thanks for the offer. I have lots of Hornady brass already. Wish I could find a reliable supply of RWS H-Mantel bullets, I'd like to try those. Going with Nosler Partitions for now. They grouped the best versus Woodleigh PP and SN, Aframes, Northfork, and Barnes TSX.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mausercentral.com/f...pic.php?f=13&t=51163 What are your thoughts on this, Bill

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooksey:
http://www.mausercentral.com/f...pic.php?f=13&t=51163 What are your thoughts on this, Bill

Can't see anything

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that! It's a link to Mauser Central and some pictures of a blank and stock I had turned.I really admire your work and just wanted your opinion on the wood I selected for a project I'm working on. I'm too dumb to post pics on my own, didn't intend to highjack.. Bill