New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert U. Milhoan, Gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In his introduction to Philip B. Sharpe’s The Rifle in America (William Morrow and Company, New York, 1937), then Lieutenant Colonel Julian S. Hatcher wrote,"So in such a volume of this kind it behooves the reader first to examine his author. In Phil Sharpe we have the ideal combination of a firearms enthusiast and technician who has made guns and ammunition his life’s work as well as his hobby; and who happens to be an experienced and prolific writer. For our purposes there could be no more perfect combination, and in this volume, we, the riflemen of America, may reap the benefits." 

Julian Summerville Hatcher (June 26, 1888 – December 4, 1963), was a noted firearms expert and author of the early twentieth century. He is credited with several technical books and articles relating to military firearms. His premier works are Hatcher's Notebook and Book of the Garand, along with Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers and Pistols and Revolvers and Their Uses. He was also a pioneer in the forensic identification of firearms and their ammunition. Hatcher retired from the United States Army as a Major General. Afterward, he served as Technical Editor of the National Rifle Association's "American Rifleman" magazine.

Sharpe’s 640 page book contains a section entitled "The Custom Rifle" authored by Robert U. Milhoan. In an addendum to this chapter Sharpe explains that Milhoan had built rifles for him and rifles for others on his recommendation. He then goes on to describe one such rifle, built by Milhoan for a certain Chester Johnson.

Sharpe relates that Mr. Johnson had contacted him in his capacity as firearms editor for a national publication and related the following sad story. According to Mr. Johnson, he had bought a National Match Springfield rifle for the purpose of having it converted to a custom sporter. To make a long story short, the rifle was totally butchered by a gunsmith who advertised in a "prominant magazine", to the point that the unhappy writer had ended up with a rifle worth no more than $10.00 for scrap, although he had invested approximately $125.00 in it.

Sharpe relates that he, himself, had had a similar expeerience with the same "gunsmith" and that he had sent Mr. Johnson photographs of another rifle built for him by Mr. Milhoan. The upshot was that Mr. Johnson ordered a rifle from Milhoan, to be made "like Phil Sharpe’s", which Milhoan proceeded to produce, and which was illustrated with a two page photo spread in the chapter written by Milhoan.

A number of years ago, a sporterized Springfield appeared for sale in Gun Broker. I attempted to contact the seller, but received no answer. The rifle looked somehow familiar, and I searched through several of my books to try to locate the photograph I remembered seeing of it, when I came across the pictures of the rifle that Robert Milhoan had made for Mr. Johnson. There was no doubt about it, the rifle listed on Gun Broker was identical with the one pictured in Sharpe’s The Rifle in America.

I placed a bid on the rifle, and since there were no other bids, won the rifle. Soon afterwards, I received an email from Michael Petrov, a name familiar to me on the basis of articles I had read in Precision Shooting. Michael had been interested in the rifle also, but had refrained from bidding because he could get no response to his questions from the seller.

I called Michael’s attention to the photographs in Sharpe’s book, and he agreed that the rifle was either the Johnson rifle, or the Sharpe rifle which had served as its pattern.

However, he was unfamiliar with the name Robert Milhoan, and unable to supply any information about him.

The rifle is based on a National Match Springfield barrelled action. The star gauge mark is visible on the muzzle of the barrel. It is equipped with a Noske Fieldscope Type B 2.5X scope in an Noske side mount. The long eye relief of the scope made it possible to mount it far enough forward so that the bolt handle remains unaltered. It features a Lyman 48 rear sight and a quarter rib with one standing and three folding sights, a barrel band front swivel base and a ramp front sight. The stock is nicely finished and checkered with a palm fitting swell on the right side of the pistol grip. The bolt is fitted with a headless cocking piece.

I have tried repeatedly to find more information on Robert Milhoan, but have found precious little. I know he was located in Elizabeth, West Virginia, but precious little else about him. If anyone has any further information about him and his work, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

The following photographs are of the rifle in my possession:

These photographs are copies of the two pages in Phil Sharpe's book

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece, with apparently some provenance, although to this point not completely proven. I do not see that as an issue.

I would bet it kicks like a mule, just due to the stock design. I bought a custom '03 about 25 years ago, and during a trip to the TX hill country the rifle unexpectedly broke at the wrist and literally fell off my shoulder while I was walking! I got it to my riflesmith and he put it back together with doweling and accraglas, but the interesting thing about the stock was that when he removed the steel buttplate, the words "H Hartley 1952" were pencilled on the stock. Hal Hartley...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal Hartley was a friend of mine. I have about ten rifles stocked by him, including three Springfields. Was the barrel original or a replacement, and if a replacement, how was it marked? The reason I ask is because much of Hal's metal work was done by my friend and former partner, Harry Creighton, who recipricated by directing stock jobs to Hal.

1952 would have been pretty early for a Hartley stock. Mine were made starting around 1958. I last visited Hal in his newly built log home in Lenoir, NC, about 1979. He was a skilled workman and a fine man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures thanks for posting them, this is the first time I've ever seen any really good pictures of the rifle.

If you look at the right side just behind the pistol grip you can see the same dark streak in the wood on both the pictures in the book and in your rifle.

I've been trying to concentrate and work on the prewar makers and just have not had time to work with what I consider the postwar makers such as Mihoan.

I've tried to get other folks interested but have had no degree of success.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked up the following information and have not vetted a single word of it. I don't know if anything is correct or if it's all correct.

Robert Udell Milhoan

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Robert Udell Milhoan
Name: Robert Udell Milhoan
County: Wood
State: West Virginia
Birthplace: West Virginia
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1896
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1993027
DraftBoard: 0

1900 United States Federal Census about Robert U Milhoan
Name: Robert U Milhoan
[Robert H Milhoan]
Birth Date: Apr 1896
Birthplace: Ohio
Home in 1900: Middleport, Meigs, Ohio
[Meigs]
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: James W Milhoan
Father's Birthplace: West Virginia
Mother's name: Eva Milhoan
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James W Milhoan 41
Eva Milhoan 41
Anna F Milhoan 15
Mary K Milhoan 13
W Alexander Milhoan 10
Ernest Milhoan 8
Jinna J Milhoan 6
Robert U Milhoan 4
Harriet E Milhoan 1

West Virginia, Marriages Index, 1785-1971 about Robert U Milhoan
Spouse's Name: Georgia Lavancia Brown
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 1925
Marriage Place: Wood, West Virginia, United States

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Robert U Milhoan
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1896
Birth Place: Roane, West Virginia
Residence: Wirt, West Virginia

1930 United States Federal Census about Robert V Milhoan
Name: Robert V Milhoan civil engineer
Birth Year: abt 1896
Home in 1930: Newark, Wirt, West Virginia
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Georgie Milhoan
Mother's Birthplace: Ohio
View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert V Milhoan 34
Georgie Milhoan 28
John A Milhoan 4
[4 1/12]
Patrick E Milhoan 2
[2 2/12]

1920 United States Federal Census about Robert Milhoan
Name: Robert Milhoan machinist machine shop
Birth Year: abt 1897
Home in 1920: Parkersburg, Wood, West Virginia
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Mother's Birthplace: West Virginia
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Arthur R Hopkins 32
Addie Hopkins 33
Robert Milhoan 23

Social Security Death Index about Robert Milhoan
Name: Robert Milhoan
SSN: 234-03-5163
Last Residence: 26143 Elizabeth, Wirt, West Virginia, United States of America
Born: 17 Apr 1896
Died: Apr 1972
State (Year) SSN issued: West Virginia (Before 1951)

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Milhoan is definately pre-War, since Sharpe's book was published in 1937.

Insteresting information about his birth date, etc.

Bill